What local Am I????

papalik

What up people of the forum,
First off I would like to say thank you for letting me join your community. I haven't posted anything yet, because I could find what info I needed on here already.(this is the most helpful place ever).

My name is Lik, and I am a tattooist in Missouri and I seem to have the same hobby as you folks.I added a new panther to my collection today, and he was a wild caught and local was unknown. I see the "U" shaped bar on his back but read this can be deceiving on what local he is. I read that its mostly Sambava's Have the "U" shaped more prominently over other locals.

But I have seen a lot of morphs also with this pattern. I will post pics and I hope someone can help Thanx. new cham1.jpg

new cham2.jpg

Well, any locale can have the U bar, but the East coast locales tend to have them more often than the others. Since he is so young, he could be anything. To me, it looks like he's starting to get the East coast look though (Sambava, Tamatave, etc.) But again, he could be anything and we wont really be able to give good guesses until he colors up more/fully develops his colors at 24 months.

Oh i didnt read the part about him being wc.....sorry.
I dont think hes sambava because most of the baby/juvie sambavas i have seen dont have the all blue spikes

Welcome Lik. Hard to tell what type. I even thought Ambilobe. You are def in the right place for starters. Enjoy the addiction.

I know its hard cause hes a young-in, but most likely East Coast, if hes not a morph?? Now my mind is going possible Andapa??

My male's spikes were a light blue color as a juvie.

Since he is WC he probably isn't a mixed locale animal. If he was, it would be two locales that eventually meet together. I really wouldn't consider a WC animal a hybrid/morph animal.

Welcome Lik. Did the importer list where it was collected? Could be a few locales or a combo. From the 2 pix you posted, I don't even want to guess becaus he is still fairly young and will change drastically in the next few months.

He looks like he will turn out good looking though

Welcome Lik. Did the importer list where it was collected? Could be a few locales or a combo. From the 2 pix you posted, I don't even want to guess becaus he is still fairly young and will change drastically in the next few months.

He looks like he will turn out good looking though

LLL reptiles has some small unknown locality panthers for sale. I'm thinking this is where the OP got it? If so, the picture on the site looks like it could be an east coast locale too.

no they didn't know where it was collected from, They lady said they just ordered a bunch of imports. (lllreptiles) is where he came from, My other male came from Bruce at chameleon paradise(Candy Cane Jr.) I wanted something different I guess,I see a lot of people with mostly same bunch of sires anymore. I have vet inline for when he gets here to make sure hes kosher.

LLL reptiles has some small unknown locality panthers for sale. I'm thinking this is where the OP got it? If so, the picture on the site looks like it could be an east coast locale too.

Ya this is the pic they sent me of the actual one, the one on lllreptiles webpage
is just a pic from the first bunch they ever got the lady said.

Ahh. I did see thoes a few weeks ago! They could be a Ambanja x Ankaramy cross

He looks to be from the Gulf Coast...Texanja? Georgilobe? Louisiankify? Something along those lines? :D ;) :D

Instinctually I wanted to say Ambanja x Sambava but if he is WC that's pratically impossible... I have NO idea. This will be a interesting thread if it stays active to see people's opinions.

Ahh. I did see thoes a few weeks ago! They could be a Ambanja x Ankaramy cross

Yeah minus the "U" he screams Ambanja to me, and for all we know he could just be a really odd boy with a "U". However if he is from the east I doubt he has Ambanja in him:confused:

There hasn’t been any Madagascar imports in a very long while (someone correct me if I’m wrong) and combined with the fact that this animal looks fairly young and doesn’t have the telltale scars and worn look that most WC’s have, I doubt he is a wild caught specimen. Don’t people wholesale their CB clutches to LLL? Not everything is WC there.

I am by far the panther locality expert here but I would be inclined to say CB Sambava cross.

The Chameleon Company brought some in from what I can tell. They sold a bunch a month or two ago, and they are still selling WC females. The actual site says that the animals are imports, so unless someone sold some CBs as imports to LLL, I don't think they are CB.

EDIT: Here's a link:
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/animals/chameleons/-/small-panther-chameleons/

Maybe the word “imports” is a mistake or a catch-all phrase for CB clutches of unknown origin/locality that people have wholesaled to them. If I was reselling some random persons clutch I would say the same thing. Also, and this as meant as no disrespect to LLL, but many of their photos are reused for their website. They are stock photos of the various species they have available and may or may not be the actual specimen. I doubt they take a picture of each and every Veiled that comes in unless requested by the online buyer. It’s too time consuming.

In my experience, when these shipments come in they are more than just a few animals and we see the trickle down on lists like Kingsnake Classifieds; everyone is selling these wild caught imports. That just hasn’t happened in ages. Also it’s not worth the money or time for the exporters to only ship a few animals when they have quotas in the thousands. I don’t think a large Madagascar shipment has come in yet this year and it's already the end of June.

Back
Top Bottom