What kind of soil can I use for my plants inside the enclosure?

Howdyshay

I know I need to use an organic soil without fertilizers and things that could be toxic to my cham but what about things the plants need to grow? What’s safe? I have a Jungle Dawn light to help with giving it the uv light. I am having isopods and springtails in the pots. I’m not great with plants so I’m worried for their lives with me.

You could try Fox Farms ocean forest mix. It’s expensive, but one of the rare soils that doesn’t have additives like perlite in it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VLPKXC...colid=RATU5HRCLXAV&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Now I feel crazy, I can almost swear I have had several bags of that with perlite in it?! Did they change the mixture?

The thing is, most soil has something whether it be wood chunks, perlite, bark, etc. The purpose is for drainage/aeration. Foxfarms is one of my favorites for sure, but if it's chunky you'll want to put that thin layer of a softer soil on top, mainly while they're a baby, just in case he eats some.

Now I feel crazy, I can almost swear I have had several bags of that with perlite in it?! Did they change the mixture?

The thing is, most soil has something whether it be wood chunks, perlite, bark, etc. The purpose is for drainage/aeration. Foxfarms is one of my favorites for sure, but if it's chunky you'll want to put that thin layer of a softer soil on top, mainly while they're a baby, just in case he eats some.
From their website:
Our most popular potting soil, Ocean Forest® is a powerhouse blend of aged forest products, sphagnum peat moss, earthworm castings, bat guano, fish emulsion, and crab meal.

Aged forest products, sandy loam, and sphagnum peat moss give Ocean Forest® its light, aerated texture. Start with Ocean Forest® and watch your plants come alive!

Ok but will it need the stuff for drainage and will it need fertilizer other than what the isopods provide? There’s ton of rabbit pellets in my yard I could mix in. I have a black thumb so I want to do everything I can to make these plants live.

Ok but will it need the stuff for drainage and will it need fertilizer other than what the isopods provide? There’s ton of rabbit pellets in my yard I could mix in. I have a black thumb so I want to do everything I can to make these plants live.
The Fox Farms already has some fertilizer in it...the earthworm castings, bag guano, etc. Too much or too strong fertilizer can burn your plants.

From their website:
Our most popular potting soil, Ocean Forest® is a powerhouse blend of aged forest products, sphagnum peat moss, earthworm castings, bat guano, fish emulsion, and crab meal.

Aged forest products, sandy loam, and sphagnum peat moss give Ocean Forest® its light, aerated texture. Start with Ocean Forest® and watch your plants come alive!

Yes I know I checked lol. That's why I said did they change the mixture because I swear mine has perlite, but I've used so many soil I probably have them confused.

What @MissSkittles said, foxfarms is already a fertilizer heavy soil. You may need to add some extra drainage material considering most soil aren't made for regular watering. It depends though how often you'll mist and how it seems to hold up.

Back
Top Bottom