What kind of heating light should I get?

ChameleonBoss

Slowly but surely I'm coming along on getting everything set up on my first chameleon setup. Everyone keeps saying you can get your heating bulb and fixture from Home Depot or Lowes, well I'm going to go there, what exactly should I be looking for?

Thanks for the help. Btw, already got my UVB light reptisun 10.0

Or if you're on a budget, any normal incandescent light will work. Like the ones that come in the 4-6 pack for $5 or so. The wattage will depend on your situation, but typically for a young chameleon you can get a 80-85F basking spot with a 40-65w bulb. You may have to test a couple and see where it leaves you.

I buy the halogens as well because they last longer but the incandescents work as well if you don't want to spend that much on a heat bulb right now. I try to buy any bulb in the bright white spectrum, as they brighten up the cage as well and help the plants thrive.

I have never used flood lights. They might be too strong. Just a white housebulb is fine. Wattage depending on the variables in your house and what temp you are trying to achieve.

just use the dome light like the one you got but you may want the smaller dome light depending on the size of your cage. i use the 8.5 dome light w/ just a regular incandescent bulb. i found that flood lights are too strong and will make it too hot. the highest wattage bulb i use is a 65w bulb.

just use the dome light like the one you got but you may want the smaller dome light depending on the size of your cage. i use the 8.5 dome light w/ just a regular incandescent bulb. i found that flood lights are too strong and will make it too hot. the highest wattage bulb i use is a 65w bulb.

So, youre saying keep the fixture, just smaller light? going with a 4' cage.

So, youre saying keep the fixture, just smaller light? going with a 4' cage.
if you can fit that 10.5 inch dome light on top of your cage then you can keep it and use it but i use the 8.5 inch dome light bc the top of my cage gets crowded. then just use a regular household incandescent light bulb.

Back
Top Bottom