What kind of crickets are these?!?

pssh

Avid Member
I ordered some crickets (3/4") and I got these monsters! They are way bigger than an inch! They are very intimidating, but they don't really like to jump so I guess that's a plus.

Thanks!

d1e68b00.jpg

Some farms are trying to cross the black and brown cricket; all farms that I know of in the West are now doing this. Where did you get these?

A guy on fauna. He lives in CA, so I dunno. I've never really seen black crickets this big either. Are they using some non-native species or something?

Here is a tub of them that I was given at the last show from my friend who uses an M-A-S-S-I-V-E amount of crickets; he was telling me all about them. I forgot most of what he told me but the basic of it is that this cricket doesn’t die from the virus. They get larger, love plants/ vegetables, live longer, breed more and are a little more aggressive. I had a baby gecko bitten by one that has never happened with the brown cricket so be aware.

I would assume that some farms will try to cross them and some will breed straight blacks. The exact name of this cricket I know not. It is going to be the norm soon I would think as even people who are still breeding the brown cricket will switch for fear of 1 day getting the virus.

DSCN0356.jpg

DSCN0355.jpg

None of those are adults right? I have some small ones too, but from what I can see they don't really look like yours either. Do you have any links on this new cricket? I can't seem to find any...

Edit: my Pygmies seem to love them. I've never seen them chase crickets so quickly. My veiled (almost 20") seemed to have a harder time getting them down but still managed.

I ordered some crickets (3/4") and I got these monsters! They are way bigger than an inch! They are very intimidating, but they don't really like to jump so I guess that's a plus.

Thanks!

d1e68b00.jpg

Looks like you got the Mormon cricket strain. Hybidized with common dominacus

Now I'm confused. Okay so the seller said they are black crickets, but they don't look like black crickets. They do look similar to Mormon crickets though...

I have some of these crickets and was thinking the same thing. What are they. There not the usual ones i get. I got about 1000 of them from the Pomona show not to long ago. They most definitely seem much more aggressive.

new monster crickets

i was talking to some pet store guys today and they were saying that these are the new virus-resistant strain. (the other crickets have been more or less wiped out by the virus). these are larger and more aggressive. he told a horror story of a woman who left about 20 in a tank with her bearded dragon when she went out of town for several days, and when she got back they had eaten her lizard. not sure if i completely believe it, but these things are way too creepy for me to leave in the tank with my guy when i'm not around.

all of the crickets as we knew them are now increased in size. i have just switched from large to smalls and they seem to be closer in size to what sutro is used to.

if anyone else gets more news on this strain i'd love to get some actual facts. i can't find anything online about the new monster strain.

wait, so whats up with the old strain? will they still stay, cuz i have the old, nice, crix left...

Umm, the "old strain" of brown crickets is not wiped out. That was definitely an exaggeration from the guy you talked to - it's a problem, but extinction is not a concern at this point. Vendors are still shipping them out by the thousands daily. They will still be around for a long while.

Ken - just because you have brown crickets does not mean they have the virus or that they are destined to die from it. Yours are fine unless they're already dead. ;)

Umm, the "old strain" of brown crickets is not wiped out. Vendors are still shipping them out by the thousands daily. They will still be around for a long while.

Ken - just because you have brown crickets does not mean they have the virus or that they are destined to die from it. Yours are fine unless they're already dead. ;)

haha just wondering cuz i just got the perfect setup, and one has yet to die with no help of the cham.

Thanks!

d1e68b00.jpg

they look like hybreds

I have some that look just like these.

yes they do bite and yes they do eat things alive. I had some eat one of my leopard gecko's. NOT COOL! so now i turn 2 loose in the cage (leopards) make sure they eat those 2 and and add as needed. while i watch. what they don't eat I remove imedately.

also since I have been doing a breeding project with crickets. I will also let you know that these guys are diggers. I have sat up at night with a red op's light and watched them. they don't act like brown crickets at all.

For My Chams ... I cup feed or hand feed. I refuse to let these loose in my cages.

Back
Top Bottom