What just came out of my chameleons butt?

I’ve had my ambilobe for about three weeks now. I’ve suspected that he’s sick because I haven’t seen him drink water. He does however move around a lot and eat a ton of hornworms. I took him to the vet, and the vet said that he’s fine since he’s eating well. He did prescribe some eyedrops and probiotics. Nimbus (the ambilobe) has his eyes closed frequently and refuses to drink. He seems to be very active and eat well, which leaves me confused. He was dangling over my shoulder a few mins ago when I looked up and saw something horrifying come out of his butt. Does anyone know what this could be? I’ve done everything that I can for the little guy and I’m in panic mode. He has a mist king set up, and a little dripper. Plenty of opportunity to drink. The breeder said he had no health issues prior to purchase.

Attachments

• 791DF2E0-D12B-44EE-B126-48ED78EF138C.jpeg
    791DF2E0-D12B-44EE-B126-48ED78EF138C.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 229
  • AC4E11EE-CBDF-4E45-B396-C904EFB64B53.jpeg
    AC4E11EE-CBDF-4E45-B396-C904EFB64B53.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 390
  • 32AE97BC-5A60-45CC-8F69-397333B476B5.jpeg
    32AE97BC-5A60-45CC-8F69-397333B476B5.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 235
Looks like hemipenal prolapse. You’ll want to apply sugar water to it to try and bring the swelling down in hopes that it will go back in. You can very gently try to get it back in with a qtip once the area has been soaked in sugar water, moist qtip ofc. If it does not go back in soon you will need to take him to the vet. The area can be kept moist and lubricated with ky jelly until vet appointment.

Whatever it was it went back in, is this normal? My tamatave has never had this issue

Not really abnormal, but not a good thing. It is their innards coming out. If it went back in good. That is what the vet would do, sometimes it is difficult to do. I would keep a close eye if it happens again I would get to a vet.
I may be wrong, but I don't believe this is a care issue, just one of those things that happen.

It's only a concern if it comes out and stays out long enough to start to dry out..it's a hemipene.

My turtle liked to show me his, it drove me nuts at first, every time I'd walk in the room, he'd whip it out...

Im assuming either a mating or threat display. He'd put it back in when food was out though :D

Thank you guys for the responses. It went back in right after he let it out. Afterwards he at 4 medium sized Hornworms and explored his cage for 2 hours. He’s petrified of water, I don’t understand why. I tried to stealthy spray some in his mouth after he grabbed a hornworm and I think he started choking, I felt so bad. Any advice on a cham that hates water?

He is probably drinking when you aren't looking. they can be shy about that for some reason. Also hornworms contain a lot of moisture and he may be getting what he needs if you are feeding them a lot. I would watch his urates, the white potion of his poops if it stays white he is well hydrated if it is mostly dark orange then he is poorly hydrated.
Don't force water on him you can give him aspiration pneumonia.

Don't spray it in his mouth ...you might get it into his lungs....as @JacksJill said above. Don't spray tha chameleon either...spray the plant leaves gently...so it won't bounce off him. Try a dripper that drips at the rate of one or two drips per second.

The closest I’ve come to seeing either of my chams drink is they sneak away to the wet leaves after the mister goes off. They of course stop in their tracks as soon as they realize I’m looking at them.

Back
Top Bottom