what is wrong with him ?

pascal -update

okay, so far so good. I took the bandage off last night and flushed the wound with diluted peroxide and it looks better already. I put Neosporin on it again and then I taped his foot. that seems to be working. he is still able to get around but is leaving it alone and its now able to get air to it and heal hopefully.
I found a vet near me that specializes in reptiles and have a 5:30 appointment for today. just for others info, they said the office visit is $57. so I didn't think that was bad at all. if you have a pet , and it needs a vet visit , then take it !!! Ive only been on here a few days and it makes me sick to see that people buy these pets and then just let them die. I take my dog to the vet for regular check ups. Why wouldn't you do the same for a sick reptile ?
wish me luck. I hope they can figure out why he is doing it and hopefully help us correct the problem.

let us know what the vet says. I hope he continues to improve and you can get things under control.

vet update

okay the vet said that he looks very healthy aside from the bad hole. She
said he didn't have any signs of MBD and he was not dehydrated. They gave me oral antibiotics to give him everyday enrofloxacin, chlorhexadine wipes to clean wound daily, and silver sulfadiazine cream to put on the wound and some wrap for the foot. she suggested keeping the foot wrapped to keep him from digging in it. She couldn't say why he is doing it. She said it could've started as a cricket bite or a small wound from a fall that irritated him and that's why he can't leave it alone , It bothers him. he is eating and getting around , so wish me luck. she said it could take awhile to heal up. he dug past the muscle. I hope he turns out ok.
I ordered a new cage from diycages.com the SC-4 xl one.
so I think a new cage loaded with vines and a tree and taking care of his wound and Pascal may just make it .

Sounds like a good plan. I was going to mention the Chlorahexadine. I have never used it, but do recall others using it for wounds. I have used Silvadene before also for a foot wound and I know people use it for burns also. I think the main thing is keeping him from furthering injuring himself which you seem to have hopefully done by covering his nails. Best of luck to you and your little friend. They do heal slowly though it seems, so don't get too frustrated. Keep us updated...

It is good news, great to hear he is ok with being wrapped and the wound is healing. I wish you all the best and good luck I really hope he will stop doing this digging thing...
Keep us definitely updated!

Poor little guy. Here's hoping for a full recovery!

In the future, now that you know he has this tendency, keep a really close eye on wounds/scratches.

update

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Hi all !! I just wanted to give an update on Pascal. He is doing really good.
tomorrow is 2 weeks ago we went to the vet. I have kept his foot wrapped and that seems to be the trick with keeping him from digging in himself. The hole on his side has closed up really well. The dead flesh around the wound came off today when I cleaned it and it now looks really good. I think its healing slow but it looks ALOT better. The antibiotics and cleaning it everyday and the cream seems to have avoided infection. He is getting around good and eating and drinking . He seems happy. LOL
also, we got a new cage for him and tossed the aquarium.
Here is a pic of him and his new home. Keeping humidity between 40-50%. that good ? Thanks for all the advice and help !

View attachment 94492

View attachment 94493

Hi all !! I just wanted to give an update on Pascal. He is doing really good.
tomorrow is 2 weeks ago we went to the vet. I have kept his foot wrapped and that seems to be the trick with keeping him from digging in himself. The hole on his side has closed up really well. The dead flesh around the wound came off today when I cleaned it and it now looks really good. I think its healing slow but it looks ALOT better. The antibiotics and cleaning it everyday and the cream seems to have avoided infection. He is getting around good and eating and drinking . He seems happy. LOL
also, we got a new cage for him and tossed the aquarium.
Here is a pic of him and his new home. Keeping humidity between 40-50%. that good ? Thanks for all the advice and help !

Yay!!! He looks great! I'd say even more foliage. I bet he loves his new home!

Did you vet draw any blood?

or do x rays?

WHile it is possible the wound was from a cricket bite and he kept itching it which made it worse, instead of him grabbing himself due to signs of MBD, its still good to have that checked out.

So glad to hear he's improving. Ideally, humidity should rise and fall. Get it up to about 70%, and then let it dry out and drop to about 30% before misting again to bring it back up to about 70%. If you're having difficulty keeping the humidity up, you can put up sheets of acrylic or even a shower curtain around 2 or 3 of the sides. And cage should be completely dry before lights off and he goes to sleep.

That cage is great, just get more plants in it!
It is wonderful that he is getting better and better! Good job! :)

Back
Top Bottom