What is this?!

I found this in a shoe box today... GF was screaming 'kill it!'.... since I wasn't sure what it was, I took some pics... again, GF was screaming to kill it the whole time :) :rolleyes:

So what is your guess?

KevinZamp12_04_20106340.jpg

KevinZamp12_04_20106336.jpg

Does it have a white spot on its body?? In Cal. there are now brown widows and crosses between the brown recluse and black widow.

I'm with your girlfriend on this - KILL IT! It's a spider, they are all evil and must be smooshed with a heavy shoe, lol!:D

I'm with your girlfriend on this - KILL IT! It's a spider, they are all evil and must be smooshed with a heavy shoe, lol!:D

Nooooo...:eek:: I LOVE spiders! Just take her somewhere FAR away from people and she will be just fine. I have 5 Tarantulas and love them OH so MUCH!:D

I doubt that black widows and brown recluses could/would breed. I could be wrong but dont see it happening.

I believe it's a false widow spider. If I'm wrong, it's something that is very very closely related.

Wow, apparently they prey upon and eat actual black widows! We have them all over the place up here. It's probably because we had a random black widow boom in my backyard.

It has not been declared officially, but we have to go through all kinds of State training and the Dr for our first responder courses stated that there have been cases of them crossing and that there are brown widows in cal. Either way I don't want to go through it again and find out if they are false or not.

I say step on it and be on your way..

I'm pretty dang sure that's a false widow! How big is it?

Email spiderpharm! They sell them I think. They could at least tell you if it is or isn't one. Black widows are the one known for their hourglass. There are many other widows that do not have the hourglass.

its a false black widow female. they vary from brown to almost black. we have them too. i believe they come from the ficus. there bite isnt deadly but does have side effects. sometimes side effects could be bad enough for a trip to the dr. i agree w everyone else. kill it! or take her far away.!!!

trust me syn he does not want to do that. The females in this species can live 5-7 years and have about 4 egg sacks of about 200 babies per season. I have been bitten MANY times by the hatchlings. Not fun. Muscle pain in the whole extremity bitten on for DAYS. Ihave no idea what it would be like being bitten by an adult. We have had a heck of a time getting rid of them. Took a whole lot of gutting and spraying of the house. They hide in dark places like widows do, or any cob web spider for that matter. they creap the heck out of me. There abdomens are much more "bulbus" if you will then a widow so just creapier all the way around.

So can you tell if it is a male or a female? If it is female, I wonder if it could have babies forever and ever without a male. Ah well, just a thought.

that is a female. the males have a much more slender abdomen and they dont get as large. i have no idea on how long thry stay fertile tho.

Back
Top Bottom