What is this noise he is making? ER visit worthy?

azrael

I posted a recent thread about going against the advice of a veterinarian and while I trust his initial diagnosis, i'm not sure if he caught everything. I am considering taking him to an emergency vet today because he is now making a noise I haven't heard before. I'll share a video to see if anyone can shed some light also.

http://youtu.be/Y6ZFEjhUdvM (He makes the noise at the beginning and again towards the end of the video)

Your Chameleon - Male ambilobe panther, 5.5 months, he has been in our care a month.

Handling - Typically every few days. He comes out of his cage to us when we open it. Lately it's been 3x a day due to medicating with gentamicin and milk thistle.

Feeding - Crickets and hornworms; daily 8-10 medium crickets 1 hornworm every few days. Gutloaded with collard and dandelion greens, carrots, endive, oranges, mango, papaya

Supplements - reptical without phos/d3 daily, reptical with d3 2x month, herpevite multi 2x a month (just ordered reptivite for the 2 kinds of vitamin A)

Watering - Was handmisting 3-5 times a day until yesterday, just installed an aquazamp low profile raindome. still have yet to perfect the timing to keep the humidity up. I seemed to get better humidity with the handmisting. I do see him drinking, not yet today though. The current schedule for the aquazamp is have the system running every hour for 3 minutes, with the exception of 5 minutes at 11am, then at 2pm switch to every 2 hours for 3 minutes with the last mist at 6pm

Fecal Description - fecal is normal, white/off-white urate and and brown feces. Last tested and found negative on 7/29/14

History - Have had him for about a month. Bought from Chameleon Paradise, Sire is Primo,

Cage Info:

Cage Type -24x24x48 screen cage/aluminum frame

Lighting -reptisun 5.0 and 60 W incandescent basking. Lights on at 8am off at 8pm

Temperature - 86-89 in basking spot, 77 at the bottom when lights are on, 73 at night on average

Humidity - Right now they've been hovering around 50%, although they dropped low this morning to about 35% by the time he woke up, trying to get them back in a good range. Just installed a aquazamp raindome. See above for timing schedule.

Plants - 2 pothos (1 hanging) and a rubber plant

Placement - Cage is in the 2nd bedroom, raised 1 1/2 feet off the ground. No Vents. Not a high traffic room except for morning feedings and medicating as of late.

Location - Chicago, IL

Current Problem - Brief history. Shiva has been rubbing his right eye, nearly since the day he arrived (July 10th). At first it was very occasionally and after seeing no other symptoms and reading that sometimes it's a thing they do, we continued as normal. Then on Sunday 27th, he was holding it closed on and off. Again, at this point, no other obvious symptoms. He could have had mucus in his mouth at this point but he doesn't generally gape so (or rage as my husband and I call it) so we gave him a shower in hopes of providing moisture and a means to remove any irritant. The next morning, he had mucus in his eye and was holding it closed for longer periods. We made a vet appointment. He opened it more as the day went on. At the vet appointment, the vet did a fecal, a CBC, a mouth smear and an eye flourescein stian. All the tests came back clear and he found no bacteria and his diagnosis of his eye was an irritation. He also said that the mucus in his mouth that he observed was not concerning, except that his mouth was a shade of green that could potential indicate a low grade liver issue but nothing conclusively. He prescribed gentamicin 3x a day and milk thistle 2x a day. One other thing that he said was to dust with regular calcium only 2-3 x a week, which is different from anything ive read.

Anyhow, today when I was giving Shiva his eyedrops (which thankfully he is a saint for), I noticed he was making a unique breath sound that I hadn't heard him make before. Its a very quiet, huffing type of sound and it is not frequent. I may be spending too much time watching him but while I am, he only makes it once maybe every 10 minutes or so or even less. He did Rage at me, which though he is being a good patient, he is doing more recently now that we are medicating him. When his mouth was open, i did see some mucus. It looked like strings of saliva on the side of his mouth, clear in color. He has also been holding his eye closed again for longer periods. His appetite is okay, ate 2 handfed crickets this morning (and perhaps a few more).

In conclusion, I'm worried. However, I'd like to not rush to the ER if it isn't warranted. Here is a link to the video I took of him. Please let me know what you think? Sorry for the long post. Any help is appreciated.

http://youtu.be/Y6ZFEjhUdvM (He makes the noise at the beginning and again towards the end of the video)

Even if you don't have time to read the lengthy post, if you could watch the quick video and see if you've seen your cham make this noise, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

After watching the video, i cant really hear the sound.

but if he is truly huffing like that every 10 minutes, it could be a respiratory infection.

and his mouth being green/yellow/gray, is normal. panthers mouths come in different colors.

if hes only doing the mouth thing when you are holding/watching him, he could be warning you away.

but you may want to find a different vet.

Back
Top Bottom