What is the problem? Please help.

TiWine

Hi guys, i posted lately a thread about my chameleon (Ramusz) wanted to come out and jumped off my hand. He doing okay until now.

Just happened: Ramusz went down to the bottom of his cage and wanted to move somewhere very badly. I don't think for sure, but he don't showed scared colours ( i attach 3 video so you can refute this statement. On one of the videos he looks stressed. This always happens when i take a picture from him). Sometimes he grabbed my hand but still pushing his head to the glass. At this time the temperature under basking is 29 celsius and in other part of the cage is 26 celsius. Later on he grabbed my hand and climbed out of the cage. And still wanted to go somewhere at the same direction ( one of the video shows what he seeing that direction, i don't know why he want to go there). Also i have two monitor at this direction, i playing and watching videos there. After he scared me a lot i covered the side where he crawled. And he went back under his uvb. While i writing this he want to grab the top of the cage and grabbing the stonewall in his cage.

One more thing what i want to add: I don't used basking lamp before because at summer he have enough warm from his uvb. But yesterday and today the weather little bit chiller. So yesterday i put up his basking lamp (40w normal bulb) and nothing happened, he go under it sometimes so he liked it. Today i put it up and happened this. I don't know if this is the problem, but i wanted to add this too. I put my hand under the lamp and its not that warm, but i post pictures from him to ask if he has burned mark on his head.

if you would know anything else feel free to ask. I really need a help.

The videos:
https://streamable.com/ljjo0s
https://streamable.com/omdyfw
https://streamable.com/qa8z0h

Pictures:
120316769_263199304855731_4431601116687758098_n.jpg
120218475_273705346983473_446825895046124478_n.jpg

Did you already do the husbandry review in your previous thread?

Yes, someone reviewed it too, he said its okay.

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male, 4 months old. He is with me about two month now.
  • Handling - I taming him. Once a week i baiting him to my hand with silkworm or waxworm and then i let him go back.
  • Feeding - Crickets, waxworms, dubias, turkestan roaches, black soldier fly larvaes, silkworms. I give him 14-16 small insects during twice feed time. Gutloaded mostly with carrots, apple or orange.
  • Supplements - Using repti-cal without d3 powder every feed and twice a month reptivite with d3.
  • Watering - Spraying plant leaves 3 times a day. Sometimes he drink from the spraying bottle.
  • Fecal Description - Healthy. White urates normal darker brown poops.
  • History - Bought from a professional breeder. He is healthy eating normally from my hand every day. He didn't moved much during the day before. Mostly he under his uvb lamp. But two days before he shed and now he walking around his cage very often.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Glass cage (30x30x60cm) while he is growing. When he will be 5-6 months old he will get a big screen cage.
  • Lighting - Arcadia Pro T5 UVB Kit 12.0 24W, i have heating lamp but not using it because in top of his cage under uvb he has 27-28 Celsius degree. ( This one changed as i wrote it above.)
  • Temperature - I wrote it above. In lower his cage he have about 26-27 Celsius degree.
  • Humidity - 35-50 at daytime. At night around 60.
  • Plants - Ficus and few branches.
  • Placement - On a desk. When i stand up i'm a little bit above him.
  • Location - Europe, Hungary.

He have a big bump on his back legs, and a big casque for his age i think. His colours showing that too.
Okay. Then he’s a male. The main reason that chameleons try to get out is because they don’t like something in the enclosure. The top of the enclosure may be to hot for him and he’s at the bottom to cool down. That’s the only reason that i can think of why he would want out/hanging out at the bottom.

Can you take a picture of the entire enclosure lighting down please? UVB is too strong with a 12%. You want a 6% and the basking should be 9 inches below. With a 12% it puts out much stronger UVB levels and requires you to have 12 inches between the UVB and the closest branch.
The enclosure is too small now. 24 inches tall is too short and 12inches in width and depth is too small.

Last edited:
I see you have substrate at the bottom, unless your setup is bioactive, remove that. It is a breeding ground for mold, and especially with this being a glass enclosure it is easy to get an RI.

Okay. Then he’s a male. The main reason that chameleons try to get out is because they don’t like something in the enclosure. The top of the enclosure may be to hot for him and he’s at the bottom to cool down. That’s the only reason that i can think of why he would want out/hanging out at the bottom.

The temperature and nothing else don't changed from yesterday. I don't think basking 30 celsius and anywhere else 26-27 celsius is that big. And after i covered the one side of the cage where he crawled he stopped it immadietly and went back under his uvb. I turned back his basking and he basking now. So i don't know why he did that. Maybe he saw something in the video which played on my pc. Its a little bit silly i know :D

120322355_3506390912758640_2552258198221338903_n.jpg

Can you take a picture of the entire enclosure lighting down please? UVB is too strong with a 12%. You want a 6% and the basking should be 9 inches below. With a 12% it puts out much stronger UVB levels and requires you to have 12 inches between the UVB and the closest branch.
The enclosure is too small now. 24 inches tall is too short and 12inches in width and depth is too small.

i think you don't remember but you answered that in my last thread too. I said its 12 because the top of the cage have very dense screen. His light just go off, so i cant take a picture from the enclosure but i attach pictures from my last post.

119703709_364011658317897_8502093205357497139_n.jpg 119743294_1586448204898571_3453905528856319708_n.jpg

I see you have substrate at the bottom, unless your setup is bioactive, remove that. It is a breeding ground for mold, and especially with this being a glass enclosure it is easy to get an RI.

i don't have much just a very thin layer for if he accidently falls down or something. But i will consider to take out. Thank you for the advice.

i think you don't remember but you answered that in my last thread too. I said its 12 because the top of the cage have very dense screen. His light just go off, so i cant take a picture from the enclosure but i attach pictures from my last post.

View attachment 278263View attachment 278264
But it actually is not dense... Your running it on the back half of the enclosure where the screen opening is... Only below that light are the uvb rays... Once you move out in front a few inches the UVB reduces to nothing.

Your temps are actually quite warm... Ambient your wanting 22-24 Celsius and basking you want 27-29 Celsius...

The dirt in the bottom not being bio active with drainage layer is a hazard as well and breeding ground for mold and bacteria which can lead to an RI.

The enclosure really is too small for him now. He wants out. This is why he is going to the bottom scratching on the glass. They don't understand that it is glass there so they will just continue to rub on the glass to try to escape. That is why he stopped when you covered the side.

I would start reading this husbandry program https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

But it actually is not dense... Your running it on the back half of the enclosure where the screen opening is... Only below that light are the uvb rays... Once you move out in front a few inches the UVB reduces to nothing.

Your temps are actually quite warm... Ambient your wanting 22-24 Celsius and basking you want 27-29 Celsius...

The dirt in the bottom not being bio active with drainage layer is a hazard as well and breeding ground for mold and bacteria which can lead to an RI.

The enclosure really is too small for him now. He wants out. This is why he is going to the bottom scratching on the glass. They don't understand that it is glass there so they will just continue to rub on the glass to try to escape. That is why he stopped when you covered the side.

I would start reading this husbandry program https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Okay, i upgrading to reptibreeze xl and will make the basking branch lower. I would buy a dragon strand one but it's not available in my country.

Thank you for the help. And also thanks to everybody who helped!

Okay, i upgrading to reptibreeze xl and will make the basking branch lower. I would buy a dragon strand one but it's not available in my country.

Thank you for the help. And also thanks to everybody who helped!
He will be stressed after moving into the new enclosure but he will settle. 12 inches for the basking branch below it or get the 6% and have it 9 inches below. :)

Update:

Hello guys. I upgraded my enclosure to reptibreeze xl but my chameleon still doing the same things just like in his older enclosure. Screen walking, walking on the bottom of the enclosure and trying to get out.
His colours if beautiful. When he walking around or outside his colours are neon green with bluish dots.
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male, 4 months old. He is with me about two month now.
  • Handling - I taming him. He is often coming out because his enclosure problem. I put my hand in the enclosure and he run out and trying to climb the wall. For some reason he trying to escape.
  • Feeding - Crickets, waxworms, dubias, turkestan roaches, black soldier fly larvaes, silkworms. I give him 10-12 small/medium insects during twice feed time. Gutloaded mostly with carrots, orange, bok choy.
  • Supplements - Using repti-cal without d3 powder every feed and twice a month reptivite with d3.
  • Watering - Spraying plant leaves 2-3 times a day.
  • History - Bought from a professional breeder. He is healthy eating normally from my hand every day.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Reptibreeze xl 60x60x120cm
  • Lighting - Arcadia Pro T5 UVB Kit 12.0 (12 inch above from his branch), 27-28 celsius degree on the basking branch.
  • Temperature - In lower his cage he have from 22 to 26 Celsius degree.
  • Plants - Two ficus benjamin: one big and one small, dracaena and i trying to find one more big umbrella plant front of his cage.
  • Placement - On a desk. Right next of a window.
Not enough hiding spot would be the problem? His older cage have much more hiding spot but back then he still trying to get out. So i don't know what is the problem, please help!

121826159_364585151621210_3148486083765465752_n.jpg 121967800_774967536682655_2269968341813714342_n.jpg 121775205_341927266898368_4914387928955530900_n.jpg

Update:

Hello guys. I upgraded my enclosure to reptibreeze xl but my chameleon still doing the same things just like in his older enclosure. Screen walking, walking on the bottom of the enclosure and trying to get out.
His colours if beautiful. When he walking around or outside his colours are neon green with bluish dots.
  • Handling - I taming him. He is often coming out because his enclosure problem. I put my hand in the enclosure and he run out and trying to climb the wall. For some reason he trying to escape.
  • Feeding - Crickets, waxworms, dubias, turkestan roaches, black soldier fly larvaes, silkworms. I give him 10-12 small/medium insects during twice feed time. Gutloaded mostly with carrots, orange, bok choy.
  • History - Bought from a professional breeder. He is healthy eating normally from my hand every day.
Cage Info:
  • Lighting - Arcadia Pro T5 UVB Kit 12.0 (12 inch above from his branch), 27-28 celsius degree on the basking branch.
  • Plants - Two ficus benjamin: one big and one small, dracaena and i trying to find one more big umbrella plant front of his cage.
Not enough hiding spot would be the problem? His older cage have much more hiding spot but back then he still trying to get out. So i don't know what is the problem, please help!

View attachment 280338View attachment 280339View attachment 280340
Can you take a picture of the entire enclosure lighting down for me as well?

Update:

Cage Info:

View attachment 280338View attachment 280339View attachment 280340
Everything in your husbandry is pretty spot on now.

The green carpet in the bottom needs to be removed as it will just be a bacteria breeding ground and is not healthy.
Based on looking at the enclosure you need more cover.
How are you checking your temps at basking branch?

Omg. Sorry i thought i answered. The green carpet will be removed after i got a dripping pan. I making a custom one with one of my friend.
I searching like 2 weeks now for a normal plant what can cover my cage. Sadly without luck. I ordering one big ficus benjamina twilight online.
I can't find thermometer gun in local shops so i check the temperature with temperature meter yet.

And there is the picture of the enclosure: ( i covering the sides to make him little cover.)
122492347_378154010262705_476453459833710378_n.jpg

• Remove the carpet and leave a bare bottom. the carpet creates bacteria
  • Pothos is great and creates vines. It would look great on the right
  • You’re going to want a thermometer with a probe

Back
Top Bottom