What is the black stuff in my fruit fly cup?

Photos please!
8585E72C-F61A-4609-84B7-537D525AB2D0.jpeg
8F6878B2-9767-4B8D-A50C-9E7CD5530D30.jpeg
3C121743-FD12-47EC-ACAA-8749C122F611.jpeg

I can't tell from those photos...I assume they are winged fruit flies if you're not taking the lid off to take the photo. Might be fungus...from damp food or dampness in the container. What do you feed them?

If you're going to dump all the flies, I would go outside to dump them so they won't end up in your house. Wash the container well if it's mold.

It would be good to know what the black is for sure though first..you might not have to dispose of them if it's not mold.

If you're tossing fruit in the container, then the black stuff is probably mold. You shouldn't be tossing any food in the container. The fly media should be sufficient for both larvae and fly.

It is incredibly hard to tell what that stuff is from the pictures alone. If you are tossing fruit in there, it is most definitely mold. If the black spots are under the fruit fly media surface, then it is probably mold as well. Larvae/maggots will climb up the sides of the container to pupate. More often than not, the pupae will be found higher than surface level. And they will never be found below the media.

The smell is what is concerning to me. I just ran upstairs to smell my fruitfly cultures. And none of them smell like fish.

Also, what species of fruit fly did you buy? Hydei or melanogaster? Melanogaster will be too small. You want hydei fruitflies until you can feed them crickets. And even then, feeding fruit flies every once in a while is beneficial while they are still growing.

If you want to order fruit flies online from a reputable seller, check out rainbow mealworms. Their fruit fly cultures are excellent. They also sell repashy superfly which is a fruit fly media. They also sell plastic cups with cloth lids perfect for fruit flies. You will just have to get excelsior (the stringy stuff for the flies to climb on) somewhere else.

If you are waiting for a hatchling, I would suggest that you are actively starting new cultures of fruit flies. I wouldn't rely on store-bought flies. One week the flies are in stock, and next they may be sold out. The only reliable way to feed a baby is if you culture the flies yourself.

agree with above- In my earlier days of making fruit fly cultures, I accidently contaminated the mix by touching with my hands. Apparently, the bacteria/oils from humans can create issues over a short period of time. So, if your feeding fruit (bacteria/mold) plus touching (bacteria/oils) can create all kinds of problems.
Personally- JMHO I would get fresh mix/ cups/ and make some new cultures. The risk would be mold transfer if it is mold. Bacteria has all kinds of weird odors. Mold usually smells musky.
As far as fishy smell ---my old cultures smelled like wet fish-food that has spoiled (larva/maggots would not live in it either). Yuck!

Back
Top Bottom