what is the best way to feed out banana roaches

little leaf

Avid Member
I have plenty enough to start feeding out my banana roaches - my question is..they run SO fast! I have been hand feeding them to the chams, they love them, but it takes about an hour by the time I get done feeding EVERY cham by hand - I am fearful to cup feed these, and they can zip right out - the chams will eat them as fast as they can shoot,chew, and get another, but the roaches run faster than the chams chew :p and when I did try, any that got out I killed so they would not escape ( by grabbing them to hard :eek: ) - I am not comfortable just letting them lose in the cages - plus they are expert hiders/diggers - any suggestions on how to feed more than one at a time? thanks

How are you raising them by the way? I don't know of any other way to feed them off than by hand...probably wouldn't want to turn any loose in the enclosure.

I have them in a recycle tote on flex tape, with a screen lid, and a 2" hole on each end w/ screening, and in a bedding of potting soil, coconut fiber, and some water Crystal, and then some bark strips to hide in - they are really breeding well - I feed them a dry gut load ( Sandra"s blog) apple, and vegs - they are really easy to care for :)

Attachments

• roach 007.JPG
    roach 007.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 129
I use a shoebox sized tub (or any cup will do.) Just smear a very thin layer of olive oil around just below the rim (not where the chameleon might hold it though.) make sure it is at least 1" wide or wider or else they might be able to get past it. This has always worked for my climbing roaches. Never had a male fly out that I have seen (though I suppose some could have, but I think they could only really survive in my cages anyways.)

I use a shoebox sized tub (or any cup will do.) Just smear a very thin layer of olive oil around just below the rim (not where the chameleon might hold it though.) make sure it is at least 1" wide or wider or else they might be able to get past it. This has always worked for my climbing roaches. Never had a male fly out that I have seen (though I suppose some could have, but I think they could only really survive in my cages anyways.)

THANK YOU !! I had 3 climb out - but the girls got them- but I still do not like them getting out :eek: lol I will try that - I have about the same thing, not quite as big a shoe box, but close with a screen on the bottom - I will give the oil a try :)

Did the olive oil work out for you? If it did, make sure you reapply every once in a while as it does eventually dry out or somehow disappear.

Back
Top Bottom