What is the best food for chameleons?

@AnamCara do you know what the cost is for the whole setup without the cham?

Look at the links I sent you -- they all have prices listed in them.

I can tell you that through trial and error, plants, vet appointments and not to mention the time I have put into learning / exploring this hobby -- close to $2500 (I'm probably under estimating here.)

@AnamCara what breeds of cham do you have?

I have a female panther chameleon -- she is very chill has a nice temperment but I still don't handler her often as it stresses her out.

She also lays infertile eggs which is its own hurdle.

How old are you? Do you have a good job and access to a good reptile vet? I ask because often younger folks get chams and find they can't get them to a vet or afford the cost.

Chameleons are not a pet -- they are a hobby. An incredibly rewarding one -- but the up front setup is the most expensive and hardest learning curve. Now that mostly her whole system except food delivery is automated -- it's fairly simple.

NOTE -- the food is not all the chameleon needs -- it will also need supplements (calcium, calcium w d3 and multivitamin -- or an all in one)

@AnamCara and @Tony_S do you feed babies and juveniles the same types of food as adults just smaller, or is it completely different food?
Yeah, I'm feeding my 5 month old panther 1/2" crickets along with silk worms and bsfl since that's what he wants. I offer dubia's unsuccessfully everyday still though.

You have to feed them what they will eat when they are young.

@Ana
Yeah, I'm feeding my 5 month old panther 1/2" crickets along with silk worms and bsfl since that's what he wants. I offer dubia's unsuccessfully everyday still though.

You have to feed them what they will eat when they are young.
Ok. Thanks for the help!

@jannb cham vet in Bay Area?

Side note -- can you search inside a thread? Do you know? I wanted to search in the giant area by area vet list in the health clinic but couldn't figure out how.

@AnamCara Thank you for telling me the price. I am 25 and I have been setting aside money for a cham. I don't know if I am close to a good vet I have not looked into that.

You are already off to a better start then most people we see come here. Keep asking questions and we can help save you a lot of money. As @AnamCara said there is a lot of trial and error in chameleon keeping. The good news is that your here asking questions to learn from our mistakes before you buy.

Here’s a list of CA vets that see reptiles.
https://thereptilereport.com/california-reptile-veterinary-directory/

The question about searching would be a good question for @Decadancin
I’m not sure.

This is what I get from a general search for Bay Area vet.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/search/296328/?q=Bay+Area+vet&o=relevance

Thanks for the question Jann. Ironically I was just looking for this type of option yesterday and could not find a way to do this. Sorry @Brad , but this was one of the items I was going to add to my project list...

@jannb cham vet in Bay Area?

Side note -- can you search inside a thread? Do you know? I wanted to search in the giant area by area vet list in the health clinic but couldn't figure out how.
Yes, when searching you can choose to search the current thread you're viewing.

search1.png

So this!^

Where do you live? lol There is no reason an entry level viv should cost more than $500 for a veiled, cost of cham included. $700 max for a panther from a respected breeder.

Probably should have clarified I meant this is what I've spend on her--not the startup cost.

I bought the cham kit, replaced everything, had mites, replaced the entire viv-- included vet cost, fecals, swapped plants, bulbs,--and then all the feeders and their food over a year and a half (I dont breed any bugs atm). Humidifier, fogger, distilled water... Im not saying I'm the smartest most thrifty person! But I've spent an arm and a leg on Ms. Mona!

Last edited:
Probably should have clarified I meant this is what I've spend on her--not the startup cost.

I bought the cham kit, replaced everything, had mites, replaced the entire viv-- included vet cost, fecals, swapped plants, bulbs,--and then all the feeders and their food over a year and a half (I dont breed any bugs atm). Humidifier, fogger, distilled water... Im not saying I'm the smartest most thrifty person! But I've spent an arm and a leg on Ms. Mona!
That explains it!

I did somewhat the same with Lennon. Live and learn.

I have a lot into Peri. I haven't had to replace anything. But I did buy a bunch of luxury items to start off with such as the solarmeter, herpstat 2, and mistking.

Plus I went all in with his enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom