What is the best chameleon for a beginner

BluerayHD

Hello I was looking for a good chameleon for a beginner. I heard that veiled chameleons were good but I also heard that they have a hard bite. What do you think I should get as a beginner chameleon?

All chameleons can bite, they all have teeth. so a hard bite means nothing.

veileds and panthers are the best first chams.

they are hardy, have very similar care requirements, and can handle mistakes a bit better than other species.

I agree, I would recommend either a Panther for Veiled. With the right information and a healthy chameleon you will be set. If would check out all the Site Sponsors as they will all be able to help you out with finding a great first chameleon.

Hello I was looking for a good chameleon for a beginner. I heard that veiled chameleons were good but I also heard that they have a hard bite. What do you think I should get as a beginner chameleon?

My husband and I are new reptile owners. We got a veiled and he's pretty hardy. We still had to a lot of research and it's been a learning experience- thank God for the people on here. Also- my cham seems to think my fingers are food and has occasionally tried to nibble on one of my fingers. It isn't pleasant, but it doesn't hurt. :) Then he glares at me because my fingers aren't edible. :rolleyes:

I will mirror what has already been said. Veiled and Panther are the best beginner and most common chameleon. However, veiled are a bit larger and tend to have a less pleasant disposition. This is not always the case, but in general. I have had 2 veiled and 3 panther chameleons. Both of the veileds were pretty mean and VERY territorial. One would actually lunge at my hand and bit me good more than once, I had to use thick gloves anytime I went in his cage.

I have never been bit by a panther chameleon. They will some times puff, but rarely more than that. That does not mean panthers will not bite, just that mine never have.

I think more often than not people make that first chameleon decision based on price, therefore many get a veiled as their first. I say, do your research, set everything up BEFORE getting your chameleon, and find the chameleon you REALLY want, what ever that may be.

Back
Top Bottom