What is my chameleons age? (with a twist)

redhorse

Chameleon Enthusiast
So once again I am looking for input and I have the answer.

This will take a few day for the end result. If you have followed some of my stuff, you already know the answer.
This thread will show others how difficult it is to know ages if we don't know the hatch date and it will be an educated guess.

1. guess the age.

Purpose for this is to engage in conversation, thoughts, and personal observations.

The picture was taken today.

Also, it is okay to share personal observations with something about your chameleon that is different than the norm.

Attachments

• PXL_20211115_215503183.jpg
    PXL_20211115_215503183.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 112
  • PXL_20211115_215650121.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211115_215650121.PORTRAIT.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 109
He hatched here. :) There is a picture I will introduce tomorrow.

Little background-- I gave away 90 babies this year (mistake I made not keeping adult male from females). Reminder to keep animals separated unless you want babies.

So I would give away the biggest first and kept all that had issues (5). I didn't give away until they had their 3rd shed or were 3 months old, which ever came first. I loved taking care and watching them and have so many pictures and videos.

Yesterday, someone gave me and update... 2nd one out of all given away.. I was so happy and decided to share (again) size and age issues.

For those that don't know, I started with Veileds in 1994 plus or minus a year (I don't think there were any CB at the time yet as I was told they were new from Yemen---not sure if it was true).

Point being- I am still learning.

So tomorrow will help. :)

I’d guess 5 months it’s small but also looks to be developing the patterns most adults tend to get and well these guys grow fast or girls it’s hard to tell honestly

LOL We will see tomorrow. he eats 5 to 6 med crickets and still likes his fruit flies along with a few baby Dubia ever 2 days.
he lives in an outdoor cage, so gets direct sunlight. He also has been brought indoors a few times when temps are below 55 at night.

MissSkittles and Uri----your seeing things I noticed today with this little fella. Good job! Also tomorrow will update frog thread.

LOL We will see tomorrow. he eats 5 to 6 med crickets and still likes his fruit flies along with a few baby Dubia ever 2 days.
he lives in an outdoor cage, so gets direct sunlight. He also has been brought indoors a few times when temps are below 55 at night.

MissSkittles and Uri----your seeing things I noticed today with this little fella. Good job! Also tomorrow will update frog thread.
I’m not experienced with veileds and have only little with my own but I’ve seen so many posts where a large veiled looks over a year old and is only a couple months old and most at that age have their mature colors at a smaller size from what I noticed. I wish I could keep my chameleons outside sadly indiana is either freezing cold or burning hot no in betweens

I'm interested in this! I have a 7 month panther who is itty bitty compared to people's posts. Maybe it will make me feel better. I am going to guess around 5 months because although it looks small, there is more colour than I would have expected for a wee little one. That said, I am no expert!

Here is where the Twist begins. I have posted these pictures before and detail in other threads but like to keep thing on track and refresh when needed.
Approximately 4 going on 5 months old--- Great job everyone!

So- This little guy was born a week or so later than (no exact date as I was at funeral in PA for a week) this big guy Pic 6. The big guy was being saved for a member but had some life changes and found a local person to adopt a few months ago.
Pic 1 is his egg.
Pic 2 same egg without pen light and zoomed in.
Pic 3 thru 4 is the tiny guy who's eyes never opened 100% (needed to get food in his body) so tried a mealworm injected with liquid calcium and reptile vits. (not recommended but was trying new strategies to save a baby)I was trying something different since I did the 30 day fruit fly feeding with Saul (stressful since my hands are kind of big).

It worked he opened his eyes a few days later and was eating on his own from that day forward.
Pic 5 was taken yesterday
Pic 6 is his brother born 1 week to 2 weeks (approx.) earlier than he was but from normal size egg.

Before I forget why I am posting the purpose is:
We don't know the facts from a breeder or pre hatch info. I could have given him away but the owner might be on hear asking why is my chameleon so small? What am I doing wrong? Help? Is it my lighting, food, decoration etc..... Can be all or none.

So this little guy is a pet/experiment (observation) to see how he will continue growing as many already know.. Chameleons have growth spurts and can take off at anytime. Or will look like an adult only 6" in length? Hope we will know in 6 months to a year.

The bars is what I find fascinating, as he continue developing in a time frame and not a growth size frame.

Note: This egg at approx. 3 months did have mold and shrunk making me think it was not alive. So it was moved into infertile or showing no signs of hatching container.

Little guys body is about the size of big dudes head.. WOW!

Extra note: I am experiencing the time/size things with tadpoles too making this even more exciting. "Did it again" thread if anyone is interested in amphibians.
Thanks for visiting.. Happy Tail Tuesday too. (y)

Attachments

• PXL_20210701_053202087.jpg
    PXL_20210701_053202087.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20210701_151225867.jpg
    PXL_20210701_151225867.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20210713_052045885 (1).jpg
    PXL_20210713_052045885 (1).jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20210713_053430043 (1).jpg
    PXL_20210713_053430043 (1).jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 79
  • PXL_20211115_215650121.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20211115_215650121.PORTRAIT.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20211114_143657 (2).jpg
    IMG_20211114_143657 (2).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Thank you SO much for posting this. My little guy was deemed a "slow grower" by our breeder and he is still really small. I have adjusted and researched SO many things to see why he is like this, but maybe it's just his little chameleon way!

That is so true.. I also have others born around the same time (one with a 6th toe) another keeper for observations and he is 3 times his size but still way smaller than the rest of the group. Claws is his name--- So my pets are both great to have and a living learning process for me and others if they choose..

I thought when I was dealing with the mold issue, I had discovered something new. BUT!
A member shared an article last week concerning eggs, and in it a well known chameleon person had the same experience in 2004 with one successful hatch. WOW! His article back in 2004 is what my thoughts were (not knowing of the article) 2021.
I have always thought I was a good researcher but now know there is way more out there and persistence, dedication, and discipline are keys to success.

I was a little thrown since I looked up many time molds on chameleon eggs and MY search engine never shared the info, or I would not have stressed out for a week trying to figure it out. Found mold on snake eggs on youtube and used the product..

Thanks to:

kinyonga and Bill Strand's article and experiences​

I have a Jackson’s Xanth that I rescued from petco and he’s not as big as he should be either. He’s about 5 inches long snout to vent and they’re usually bigger than that at a year. It’s sometimes hard to figure out why the size differences. Thanks for posting this!

Back
Top Bottom