what is he doing!!!

cacoonkitty

Hi guys, i keep meru jackson chams, two males and a female, the vivarium is very large with plenty of live planted ficcus and lots of vines and visual barriers so the two males are fine together as they hardly ever see each other and dont seem fussed at all and seem very content, but heres my issue, the first male i have ,(belly button is his name), i got together with a female(fluff is her name), they are both captive bred,a year and a half old and in good health,they eat and shed fine,but recently the weather in the u.k has got a little warmer as its nearing summer ,and i have noticed my male has started to display to my female which is great!! buuuut, when he mounts her which i have seen 4 or 5 times now in the last 4 days he just wriggles around a bit gets near to her tail base but he doesnt seem to get his privates out so that the deed can be compleated !!!, fluff just lays there looking a bit un impressed at his un experianced effort and then once he gets of her he then finds a branch and goes to seep!!!...i was very worried when i found him asleep as i know chams closing there eyes in the day can indicate illness so took him to thge vet thinking he was poorly...but the vet just turned around and said he looked in great health and was aleart and just to check my temps and make sure i continue to supplement there food(which i always do anyway!)...so my question is,..why is he not getting his hempi out when he is trying to mate with fluff and do you think he is just worn out hence why he sleeps or what!!?? please help.
my temps are 78f in the day and 65f at night, and i use an external humidifier in the morning and early evening to bring the humidity up , the ambient humidity is in the 70s and higher in the night and morning to simulate his enviroment ,and i feed 4 times a week with calcium gut loaded crickets and have a uv and low wattage spot on in the day. thanks guys.:confused:

I know the "deed" should come naturally to the males. But sometimes, inexperienced and young males take a few times before they really understand what to do. So hopefully this is the situation.
Not sure why he is sleeping afterwards, maybe he is worn out. I really haven't noticed it with my chams before, but it is very evident with my tortoises.

yes its really strange, and quite worrying even tho the vet said he looked fine, he is hydrated from what i can see, i spray them twice a day heavily so all the leaves are dripping and they have a humidifier blow into there viv in the mornings and late afternoons each hour for 15 minutes so there is the moisture there too, i fed them thi smorning and he ate a cricket straight away so he is still willing , he just isnt himself..he never slept like this before, but it has only been since he has been dispaying to her ,they are my babies, and would hate something to happen to them, he just seems to be asleep 60% of the time, apart from when he is on top of her TRYING or when he is disturbed ..when he then moves off and goes to sleep again, i dont get it!:(

If he is sleeping 60% of the time, something is wrong.
SO it is not just when he is done attempting to mate?
Did the vet say anything about a possible vitamin A deficiency? Did he do bloodwork?

hiya guys, well i supplement with a calcium and multi vit/mineral every 4th feeding as i have been advised by my vet and i gut load my insects which are mainly small crickets with a specialy made formular, it has lots of good things in it like bee pollen ect, i always do this with all my reptiles, i wasnt happy with what the vet said when i took him in the first time this guy wasnt my normal reptile vet, he just really told me to check my temps and see how he is in a few days...i dont really think he knew what to say, this vet was a stand in reptile vet instead of my normal guy who was away at the time, so i made another appointment to see my vet for today and after taking him back in i found my poor little man had an absess in his upper mouth,my vet managed to get this out in one go and told me to keep an eye on him as he didnt want to give him anti biotics straight away as chameleons can be temperamental to these...esspecialy that he was a dwarf jackson so very small, well at least i know know and can keep check on him...i just hope its not hurting him any more now and that he will get better. poor little guy.:(

If the vet didn't do a culture and sensitivity test and since he didn't put it on antibiotics its quite likely that the abcess will return or spread elsewhere IMHO.
Hope it will be okay!

yes im worried abot this, he said to keep eyes on him and if he doesnt improve he will give him the anti biotics, he said that when it was removed it came out easily and i saw him do this and that as it bled this was a good sign as it proved the surrounding tissue wasnt dead...and this would be a problem, but he said the blood would flush it out naturaly and sometimes this is enough if the animal is otherwize healthy, which he is, but if all else fais we will go down that route, he looks very much better today, he has his eyes open and is routing around. fingers crossed eh!!

Back
Top Bottom