What in the H3ll is this?

Found this in my cham's feeder bowl today. what it be?

Attachments

• DSCN2979[1].jpg
    DSCN2979[1].jpg
    224 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCN2980[1].jpg
    DSCN2980[1].jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 165
It's not a mealworm pupa that's for sure! Looks more like the Dermestid beetle grubs that sometimes come with the livefood.

i get a few of those sometimes when i buy crickets. dont know what they are but i just toss them out

Now you mention it I have seen little pupa likt things in with the crickets. How long is it? the ones in with the crickets are very small.

P.s I really like the "what the h3ll!" remark. made me laugh then made me investigate the thread...

It's not a mealworm pupa that's for sure! Looks more like the Dermestid beetle grubs that sometimes come with the livefood.

Definately agree. Do your crickets come with black looking beetles as well? These are the larval stage of the beetle. They are used to cut down on cleanings in large cricket breeding facilities. I have never seen them with meal worms but they just might be easier to seperate than with the crickets. They eat all the dead things at the bottom. I wouldn't feed them to the chams, given they only eat dead and slightly decayed food.

Yeah, had beetles and larva in with my crix. I just leave them to it and dump them when all the crix have been eaten. Occasionally I get one in with my locusts. Had a small spider in the crix tub the other day- I've heard of people finding big hairy spids in theirs! Ugh! Amy wouldn't get crix ever again if I ever found a big spid in with hers, lol!

i actually had 2 different kinds of larvae in my last cricket order, one with longer hairs than the other, i put them both together in a seperate small tube for collecting insects, the one with longer hair actually ate the other larva and shed twice, now its a pupa so ill take a picture when its done pupating and post it so that everyone can see what they look like

Definately agree. Do your crickets come with black looking beetles as well? These are the larval stage of the beetle. They are used to cut down on cleanings in large cricket breeding facilities. I have never seen them with meal worms but they just might be easier to seperate than with the crickets. They eat all the dead things at the bottom. I wouldn't feed them to the chams, given they only eat dead and slightly decayed food.

interesting.....now i know. i guess it would make sense for large breeders to use them.

those are larvae of a type of beetle, and they come in with the crickets sometimes. They are scavengers (can't remember the scientific name) and can be used to clean bones for museum displays.

When I find them, or the little beetles they turn into, I feed them to the lizards. Have done for years, never a problem. I figure free food variety.

I've seen them w/ my crickets too! I thought maybe it was from my room and got in, I'm glad I'm not the only one that has encountered them!

Back
Top Bottom