What if he won't go back in his cage?

bbprinting

So I am working on a free range for my 6 month old panther using some of the amazing ideas that I have been reading here. Here is my concern I only want him to be on it when I am home so at some point I will need him to go back in his cage. So what do I do if I can't get him to back in, or even worse he begins to hiss and blow up at me. I'm also working on a large outside cage where I can concerned about the same issues. Right now I can get him to get on my hand while enticing him with a superworm but that's never a guarantee. I've only had him about a month so maybe I just need to wait until he easily comes to me before attempting anything outside his cage. Thanks

Place your hand palm down in front of him, and reach behind him with the other. Scoot your hand under his front legs, and touch the base of the tail, he will climb on to your hand.
Once he starts climbing on to you, your backhand is used to guide feet and tails off branches.
When you reach behind, stay a foot or so from the side of him, so he doesn't bite you.

Place your hand palm down in front of him, and reach behind him with the other. Scoot your hand under his front legs, and touch the base of the tail, he will climb on to your hand.
Once he starts climbing on to you, your backhand is used to guide feet and tails off branches.
When you reach behind, stay a foot or so from the side of him, so he doesn't bite you.

Pretty close to what I do. I put my hand under them and then up, they usually will walk on to my hand. My Jackson is a bit stubborn so I usually have to pry a foot or two off the branch. This can become soemwhat of an art. You just have to learn what works best for you.

Is it usually inevitable that your going to get bit at some point? I've seen his pissed at me once before and he looked like he was going for blood, lol.

Is it usually inevitable that your going to get bit at some point? I've seen his pissed at me once before and he looked like he was going for blood, lol.

I was cleaning my cham's cage once and he was in there when I left the door open and went to get some more paper towels, I found him hanging out outside the cage, he wasn't very happy that I was trying to guide him to my hand (I'm kind of in your situation, not very experienced in handling), and he nipped me. It doesn't hurt at all, just kind of shocking.:eek:

I can only imagine how shocking that would be. My female is very calm now and lets me hand feed her and she does not show any mistrust when I get very close to her, I just can't get up the nerve to try and just rub under her neck just to see how she reacts. She's still small so I have no idea what I'm afraid of.

@bbprinting any update on failure/success of getting back in cage?

its been a few years since Ive been bitten by one of my chams however I promise their bark is far worse than the bite. It makes you understand why they hiss, puff up and make their spikes look dangerously Jurassic .. (it's all they got lol)

Pretty close to what I do. I put my hand under them and then up, they usually will walk on to my hand. My Jackson is a bit stubborn so I usually have to pry a foot or two off the branch. This can become soemwhat of an art. You just have to learn what works best for you.

ME too!! I actually feel bad about it but my Jackson has such a grip on him!!
Thank goodness neither of my boys are argessive and try to bite.

Back
Top Bottom