what happened

nydiaz

today he ate great, he played as chams play and he looked healthy. today nyc was 94 degrees so i placed a small fan on him. he is 5 months old. i can home at 2:30 am and he was lying on the bottom of the cage. his color is very good he looks like he is sleeping. i had never been able to hold him until now. his eyes look a little sunken .What do i do at 2;30 in the morning.:(:(:(:(

well it is 10 ;30 in the am and mikey is still hanging on. his color is great. i am giving him a lot of water waiting for the store to open so i can get some pedialyte for him. i think he is dehydrated. any help please post. we will see the vet today but until then i will try my best. nydia

I'm not an expert by any means, but I don't think the fan is a good idea. I would get him in the shower. He sounds dehydrated. Will he cling to a plant? If not, you may have to get in the shower yourself and hold him. Let the shower get steamy and let him enjoy the mist for at least 15 minutes. See how he is doing after that. Mist him in his cage for 10-15 minutes 3 times a day and keep him under his UV bulb but don't put him him under the fan. Do you have a cooler spot in the house? If you have a window air conditioner do not put him in front of it. Be sure to keep him out of cold drafts. Find a place between 80-85 degrees and mist mist mist.

I'm sure someone with more experience taking care of dehydrated chams will chime in here soon when they get up, but this should work for now. The shower is a very good thing when they are dehydrated.

If you can take a picture and post it, it would be most helpful. Also, be sure to fill out the form for needing help that is at the top of the Health Clinic forum.

mikey's home is a wire/mesh that is 29 x 29 x 29 by zoo med
lighting- 1 mercury vapor bulb, 1 broad spectrum lighting
for water he has a large waterfall
the temp on the basking area is 110 degrees bottom of cage is 85 degrees in the day time at night it drops to about 75 degrees he is misted 3x a day, he has live pothos plants , and he is feed 30 crickets daily that had been gutloaded the the cricket mush recipe from the book "thought for food"

yesterday i did place a fan near his cage. in nyc it was 94 degrees and humid, could that cause him harm? nydia:(:(:(:(:(:(

thank you Bocajan , I will go in the shower with him. His color is so good it makes me wonder. i am trying to get a photo out. thanks again nydiaz

Im no expert either but I think that we definatly need more information.

You may want to fill out the help form, and an expert might be able to better help you.

Off the bat I want to know the breed, age, what suplementing your doing, and a better discription of the lighting.

Your temps seem really high. Also describe the waterfall cuz youll probably want to lose that.

thank you Arkist, I am sorry I have missed some info.I am a bit frantic. Mikey is a 5 month vcham. His lighting is a slim line unit with a uvb/uva broad spectrum lighting. the mercury vapor lighting is for heat. in the gutloading of the crickets the ingredients are
3 hard boiled eggs, 1 sweet potato, 3 carrots. 3 broccoli heads, 3tsp kelp powder, 3tsp soy flour.2tsp cornmeal,1/2 cup wheat germ,3tsp calcium powder, 3 crushed beta- carotene tabs, 1/8 bee pollen,1tsp vegetable glycerin.1tsp brewers yeast, 1/2 cup of oj. other than this I dust the crickets with calcium dust 2-4 times a month. hope this info can help thanks again nydiaz

Don't worry about it, I would be frantic as well.

I am familiar with the slimline products, what percent UVB is it?

What wattage is your mercury bulb?

What type of calcium are you dusting with? Does have D3? Are you using any multivitamins? You said your dusting 2-4 times a month and hes eating 30 daily. When you dust do you dust all thirty?

I really suggest that you fill out the form Weldon linked with as much detailed information as you can.

Thank you Weldon.

I have not heard that krug, what is wrong with them?

Are you sure your not thinking compact flurescent?

thank you Arkist, I am sorry I have missed some info.I am a bit frantic. Mikey is a 5 month vcham. His lighting is a slim line unit with a uvb/uva broad spectrum lighting. the mercury vapor lighting is for heat. in the gutloading of the crickets the ingredients are
3 hard boiled eggs, 1 sweet potato, 3 carrots. 3 broccoli heads, 3tsp kelp powder, 3tsp soy flour.2tsp cornmeal,1/2 cup wheat germ,3tsp calcium powder, 3 crushed beta- carotene tabs, 1/8 bee pollen,1tsp vegetable glycerin.1tsp brewers yeast, 1/2 cup of oj. other than this I dust the crickets with calcium dust 2-4 times a month. hope this info can help thanks again nydiaz

110 in the basking spot is SHOCKINGLY hot for a veiled that young, well any veiled really. It probably shouldn't reach above 90 and that is pushing it at his age. He is probably dehyrated. You definitely need to drop the cage temperatures all around. Ambient should be about five degrees cooler, since he is so young. As BocaJan said, you should shower him and make sure he is well misted. The cage at those temps, even if he isn't dehydrated could be lethal.

I know they are in the shape of a compact florescent. This is where my confusion begins. I am going to look it up for you and let you know.

Do you have the package for your bulb. Does your bulb look like a compact florescent? Just make sure your bulb does not give out UVC. Very bad for them. UVC is used for sterilizing purposes and can cause cancer.

arkist,

Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking a different type of bulb. That bulb is fine. As mentioned by the above get your cham in a shower and you should see some noticeable increase in their movement etc. I wish you the best of luck.

mercury vapor bulbs arent all bad, ive used them and still do, you just gotta watch the basking temps.

im doing a comparison of the linear tubes(reptisun 5.0) and the mv setup(sunforce 100w) and so far without any conclusive results it seems as if my female prefers the mv bulb so far.

mikey's home is a wire/mesh that is 29 x 29 x 29 by zoo med
lighting- 1 mercury vapor bulb, 1 broad spectrum lighting
for water he has a large waterfall
the temp on the basking area is 110 degrees bottom of cage is 85 degrees in the day time at night it drops to about 75 degrees he is misted 3x a day, he has live pothos plants , and he is feed 30 crickets daily that had been gutloaded the the cricket mush recipe from the book "thought for food"

yesterday i did place a fan near his cage. in nyc it was 94 degrees and humid, could that cause him harm? nydia:(:(:(:(:(:(

110 is WAY too hot for any Veiled cham! At 5 months I would maybe hit 90 at the top. The waterfall needs to go-these are bacteria breeding grounds of trouble. 3X a days worth of mistings and the live plants should be sufficient for hydration. 30 crickets is alot unless they are something like large pinheads. Your supplementation needs fixing. I would replace the bulb in your slimline fixture with a Zoomed Reptisun 5.0 for UVB, and I know nothing about mercury vapors-so I will leave that up to the people that do.

Back
Top Bottom