What food would you guys recommend after chameleon gets tired of crickets?

Just getting ready for what food to feed next :) so can you guys tell me in what to feed my chameleon after he gets tired of crickets? I hope not roaches... Freaking creeps the hell out of me when ibsee roaches :(

As long as you give a variety of insects, you shouldn't have to completely take crickets out. I've read that a lot of people use roaches (sucks, doesnt it? haha).

It's a good idea to feed atleast 2 different kinds of insectes daily, if you have the space (I use 64 Qt. Sterilite Tubs) to keep bulk orders of them it is cheap.

I have 3 main feeders daily at the moment (Cricket, Dubia, and Red Racers). It is very easy to keep and breed Dubias and Red Racers (Racers a bit, but nowhere near as bad as crickets).

I honestly find roaches cleaner and less problematic than crickets. I keep dubia, turkistan, and lobsters. The chameleons I have worked with love flies also. Hornworms are generally relished as is most any green insect: grasshoppers, katydids, mantids... The key seems to be providing variety before your animal goes off a certain feeder. (That and not overfeeding). Finally, keep your feeders in healthy conditions.

You can offer it silkworms, hornworms (captive raised), superworms, locusts, roaches, phoenix worms, butterworms and once in a while waxworms. Mine never seem to get tired of crickets although they are always glad of some variety.

I think your best bet is get a few dubia or discoids and start a small colony. I think you will find, as I have, the roaches are unlike what you imagine. They are very clean, don’t fly, very easy to handle and you will really start to like them. After you have had both, don’t be surprised if it’s the cricket that seems a lot more disgusting. Then order a thousand!

They are very clean, don’t fly, very easy to handle and you will really start to like them.

but they smell bad! don't they?

also, another food-related question:

what do you do if your cham only eats crickets and doesn't care about superworms and hoppers that he used to love (until a few days ago)?

You said..."what do you do if your cham only eats crickets and doesn't care about superworms and hoppers that he used to love (until a few days ago)?"...feed him well fed gutloaded crickets! They are a good staple because they are so easy to gutload.

...feed him well fed gutloaded crickets! They are a good staple because they are so easy to gutload.

yes that's what I already do! my question was :

a)what can I do to make him eat the hundreds of hoppers and superworms
I bought cause he used to love them so much!!!!

b)what am I supposed to do if now he totally ignores them? eat them myself? :)

c) could there be a reason why he doesn't like superworms and hoppers anymore or is he just a spoiled brat :confused: :p

try putting the supers in a different location. weirdly, one of my chameleons wont eat superworms from his white feeder cup, but he will from the larger brown or green bowls.

Supers and hoppers taste like nuts when lightly fried
:)

yes that's what I already do! my question was :

a)what can I do to make him eat the hundreds of hoppers and superworms
I bought cause he used to love them so much!!!!

b)what am I supposed to do if now he totally ignores them? eat them myself? :)

c) could there be a reason why he doesn't like superworms and hoppers anymore or is he just a spoiled brat :confused: :p

I'd hold on to them and just keep trying from time to time, my guy totaly stoped eating crickets so I bought all sorts of worms (small amounts) to see what he liked, seemed like for a week he would like one feeder then the next week he would like another then he ended up eating crickets again....

it would be like eating the same food every day, even if you really like that food you will burn out on it, but chances are if you liked the food you will want it again someday

i am also having a problem feeding my cham(she is a flat head cham) as well...ive only had her about a week but she is so stubborn when she eats...she wants nothing to do with crickets:confused:...and she will only eat meal worms...and the meal worms have to be thrashing wildly for a couple minutes before she will even aim her head at them to get ready to strike...but she eats like 5 to 8 when she does so she is eating well im just worried because i read somewhere that they are hard for them to digest and i dont want it to complicate things...

Back
Top Bottom