What Enclosure Should I buy

I was hoping to buy a package deal/kit with all the supplies needed for a chameleon enclosure but I don't know which one is best so if someone could help that would be great! thank you!

It's easier and cheaper to not get a kit, but just get an enclosure and customize it how you want. Get a 2x2x4 reptibreeze, and add a few umbrella trees, sticks, and you're good!

It is highly recommended you do not buy the kit, especially since the lights you will be provided will be inadequate for long term chameleon health.

Honestly your chameleon is going to be the cheapest part of this whole process.

You will need.

T5ho lighting fixture
Heat light and fixture
Cage
Mistking system
Optional fogger(recommended though)
Decorating supplies

It is highly recommended you do not buy the kit, especially since the lights you will be provided will be inadequate for long term chameleon health.

Honestly your chameleon is going to be the cheapest part of this whole process.
If I just buy a cage what do you suggest I put in it then. Like what type of light and etc.. Sorry I am new and trying to figure all of this out. Thank you!!

If I just buy a cage what do you suggest I put in it then. Like what type of light and etc.. Sorry I am new and trying to figure all of this out. Thank you!!

Better to figure it out now than later. :)

T5ho lighting fixture(Acadia bulbs are preferable)
Heat light and fixture
Cage 24x24x48 minimum, bigger is better, but I've had trouble finding larger
Mistking system
Optional fogger(recommended though)
Decorating supplies
Plants

Last edited:
1. Linear 10.0 UVB reptisun bulb
2. 24" terrarium hood by zoomed.
3. 75 watt intense basking sport bulb (with some dome from petsmart, but don't buy from petsmart)
4. Mistking

That's it!

the above is what i have, you can get an aracadia 12% bulb instead. This is just what I am currently using.

I was hoping to buy a package deal/kit with all the supplies needed for a chameleon enclosure but I don't know which one is best so if someone could help that would be great! thank you!

Hey Lauren,

As someone mentioned on one of your other threads, your weather in AZ is going to be a battle for you. I highly suggest getting one of Dragon Strands Hybrid Enclosures. Bill, the owner, is a great and knowledgable guy and gives great customer service. These cages are also better than Reptibreezes imo because you can mount stuff on the sides without destroying them. They have what's called Dragon Ledges which allow you to hang potted plants and other heavy things from them. For screen cages, you risk damaging the screen if you mount things to it.

It's good to invest in the right cage the first time if you can afford it because you will find that it usually pays for itself. You won't have to upgrade or fix it and cause yourself a headache. If you choose to use a reptibreeze, what I ended up doing (since the DS hybrid wasn't available at the time) was I bought Dragon Ledges that were made for it. Dragon Strand makes the ledges for all types of cages other than their own. I then covered the sides and back with rainforest shower curtains. You can essentially cover all sides excluding the bottom service door and the top and have adequite air flow.

Another option is to do the reptibreeze deluxe. This has a plexiglass door that will help retain humidity along with the shower curtains. Plus, it looks nicer. The only issues I've had with the cage was the LED lights. I called Zoo Med and they replaced it for free. It was nice that the cage had the LED's because it lit up the cage very well and kept my plants alive.

As far as lights go, I, too, use the Arcadia t5's. I use the 12% and have them suspended above the enclosure. You can get away with using the 6% arcadia and placing it directly on top of the cage. That is, if you have the UVB lamp in a single bulb fixture. If you plan to do a heavily live planted enclosure (which I personally recommend) then invest in some 6500k plant lights. I bought a quad fixture (has four light sockets) and my plants in my enclosures are doing really well. Some are blooming.

Heat lamp is variable depending on your ambient temperature. I use the zoo med repti basking spot lamp. I use the 75w for 2x2x4 enclosures and 50w for the 18x18x36's. I just make sure the basking spot isn't too hot with a temp gun. I highly suggest investing in one so your cham doesn't burn himself/herself. Most people use 60w or so house bulbs. All of these bulbs will go in a dome fixture. It's something you'll play around with and find what works for you.

If you need some suggestions on plant furniture/decor let us know.

Hey Lauren,

As someone mentioned on one of your other threads, your weather in AZ is going to be a battle for you. I highly suggest getting one of Dragon Strands Hybrid Enclosures. Bill, the owner, is a great and knowledgable guy and gives great customer service. These cages are also better than Reptibreezes imo because you can mount stuff on the sides without destroying them. They have what's called Dragon Ledges which allow you to hang potted plants and other heavy things from them. For screen cages, you risk damaging the screen if you mount things to it.

It's good to invest in the right cage the first time if you can afford it because you will find that it usually pays for itself. You won't have to upgrade or fix it and cause yourself a headache. If you choose to use a reptibreeze, what I ended up doing (since the DS hybrid wasn't available at the time) was I bought Dragon Ledges that were made for it. Dragon Strand makes the ledges for all types of cages other than their own. I then covered the sides and back with rainforest shower curtains. You can essentially cover all sides excluding the bottom service door and the top and have adequite air flow.

Another option is to do the reptibreeze deluxe. This has a plexiglass door that will help retain humidity along with the shower curtains. Plus, it looks nicer. The only issues I've had with the cage was the LED lights. I called Zoo Med and they replaced it for free. It was nice that the cage had the LED's because it lit up the cage very well and kept my plants alive.

As far as lights go, I, too, use the Arcadia t5's. I use the 12% and have them suspended above the enclosure. You can get away with using the 6% arcadia and placing it directly on top of the cage. That is, if you have the UVB lamp in a single bulb fixture. If you plan to do a heavily live planted enclosure (which I personally recommend) then invest in some 6500k plant lights. I bought a quad fixture (has four light sockets) and my plants in my enclosures are doing really well. Some are blooming.

Heat lamp is variable depending on your ambient temperature. I use the zoo med repti basking spot lamp. I use the 75w for 2x2x4 enclosures and 50w for the 18x18x36's. I just make sure the basking spot isn't too hot with a temp gun. I highly suggest investing in one so your cham doesn't burn himself/herself. Most people use 60w or so house bulbs. All of these bulbs will go in a dome fixture. It's something you'll play around with and find what works for you.

Omg thank you so much!!!

Omg thank you so much!!!

No problem. If you want some pics of my enclosures I'll send some pics. Just let me know.

In your downtime I highly suggest listening to the Chameleon Academy Podcast (previously the Chameleon Breeder Podcast). There's a wealth of information there that can help you learn a lot and sometimes things you didn't know you wanted to learn about. There's also chameleonacademy.com which can guide you on how to set up your enclosure properly, read up on cham behavior, et cetera. Both are run by the guy who owns Dragon Strand. He's got 40+ years in the game.

Hey Lauren,

Is Dragon strand even up yet? I know they are retooling, I wanted a huge cage for my cham, but all they currently have is the basic sizes.

So I settled on a shite cage for the time being.

Is Dragon strand even up yet? I know they are retooling, I wanted a huge cage for my cham, but all they currently have is the basic sizes.

So I settled on a shite cage for the time being.

That was my issue when my ankify decided he wanted to have a growth spurt. I took a cage that a friend was going to trash and rescreened it. Changed the screen door to plexiglass. Soon after, he said NOPE I'M GONNA GROW RIGHT NOW HA HA HA!

Anyway, I ended up getting reptibreeze deluxe 2x2x4 as a temporary enclosure. It's like $150 on petmountain.com. I plan to use this cage for babies once I get my hands on Bill's cages.

Bill has the 2x2x4 screen and the hybrid (sides and back are PVC) in 2x2x4 right now. I think he said the next one he's releasing is the atrium series screen. We just have to wait for the vivs and clear sides.

OH and if you have a shite cage rn you can always install plexiglass in place of the screen (assuming it's a shite screen cage). It's fairly simple with some aquarium silicone.

If you have a misting system like a Mistking, have a lot of live plants or a bioactive enclosure, and mist sufficiently before lights out, you won't receive that much benefit from a fogger.

Exo Terra glass terrariums are another good option that many people use. A lot depends on your budget. You can even make an all screen cage work in a dry environment, but it's not ideal. You will just have to mist quite a lot to keep humidity up.

Others have said it already but the package kits are a waste of money because the UVB dome/bulb that are included in those kits are practically useless. T5HO linear flourescent tubes are currently the only way to go.

If you have a misting system like a Mistking, have a lot of live plants or a bioactive enclosure, and mist sufficiently before lights out, you won't receive that much benefit from a fogger.

Exo Terra glass terrariums are another good option that many people use. A lot depends on your budget. You can even make an all screen cage work in a dry environment, but it's not ideal. You will just have to mist quite a lot to keep humidity up.

Others have said it already but the package kits are a waste of money because the UVB dome/bulb that are included in those kits are practically useless. T5HO linear flourescent tubes are currently the only way to go.

The foggers were recommended here:

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-110-fogging-and-airflow-with-mario-jungmann/

Agree with skoram. Mistkings are nice because you can set up to ten different timers on it. Some of the cheaper misting systems only give you duration and frequency. With the mistking you can set custom duration down to seconds and days of the week. Like I said with investing in the right cage, misting system is the same. I've had my mistking for 6+ years.

Back
Top Bottom