What enclosure should I buy?

Right now I have found two main contenders for my enclosure on Amazon: one is the standard 24”, 24”, 48” reptibreeze, another is the same but in a kit that comes with some extra stuff for only about two dollars more (even if most of the stuff isn’t the best, I still think that I could keep them on hand. Plus, there is some useful stuff). Then, in addition to these enclosures that are specifically built for chams and the like, I also found a large aviary on Amazon for a lower price than either of the reptibreezes. It is 31 inches wide, 20.5 inches deep and 53 inches tall. Only question is: would an aviary of those dimensions even work for a chameleon or is it too different? As you guys know, I’m no expert, but I would imagine that the metal wires that make up an aviary would be good for a chameleon to climb on, plus this particular one comes with three wooden sticks that go from left to right and could be climbed on also. For those who want more info, Here is the listing. My main concern is that it won’t hold in humidity as well or that a young cham could try to escape through the bars, but I think that could be helped by covering the aviary with some sort of tarp or cloth. Anywho, what do you guys think? Reptibreeze or aviary? Just the enclosure, or with some gimmicks? Thanks!

The problem with the aviary is it's made of wrought iron which will rust with all the moisture of a chameleon enclosure, so I wouldn't recommend that. As for the reptibreeze kit, I would double check that it comes with the 24x24x48 size cage. At only a 2 dollar difference, I strongly suspect that it actually comes with a smaller cage. If it actually is the 24x24x48 cage, you might as well get the kit, but otherwise I would go with just the cage.

The problem with the aviary is it's made of wrought iron which will rust with all the moisture of a chameleon enclosure,

This! My Benny bird (European Starling) takes frequent baths, and I've noticed a few suspicious spots showing up on her cage in few of the more enclosed areas.

The problem with the aviary is it's made of wrought iron which will rust with all the moisture of a chameleon enclosure, so I wouldn't recommend that. As for the reptibreeze kit, I would double check that it comes with the 24x24x48 size cage. At only a 2 dollar difference, I strongly suspect that it actually comes with a smaller cage. If it actually is the 24x24x48 cage, you might as well get the kit, but otherwise I would go with just the cage.
Good catch on the size difference thing, that never even occurred to me for some reason. :p

Right now I have found two main contenders for my enclosure on Amazon: one is the standard 24”, 24”, 48” reptibreeze, another is the same but in a kit that comes with some extra stuff for only about two dollars more (even if most of the stuff isn’t the best, I still think that I could keep them on hand. Plus, there is some useful stuff). Then, in addition to these enclosures that are specifically built for chams and the like, I also found a large aviary on Amazon for a lower price than either of the reptibreezes. It is 31 inches wide, 20.5 inches deep and 53 inches tall. Only question is: would an aviary of those dimensions even work for a chameleon or is it too different? As you guys know, I’m no expert, but I would imagine that the metal wires that make up an aviary would be good for a chameleon to climb on, plus this particular one comes with three wooden sticks that go from left to right and could be climbed on also. For those who want more info, Here is the listing. My main concern is that it won’t hold in humidity as well or that a young cham could try to escape through the bars, but I think that could be helped by covering the aviary with some sort of tarp or cloth. Anywho, what do you guys think? Reptibreeze or aviary? Just the enclosure, or with some gimmicks? Thanks!

I'd also recommend checking size on the reptibreeze. I bought a 2x2x4 online and got the 18x18x36, which was fine for Koba now, but the 2x2x4 is needed when they start to get larger. I'm looking into getting 4x4x6 aluminum enclosure, especially since I think reptibreeze over charges for flimsy plastic.

CQ,
You can get the repti-breeze cage, but I have found the old adage of "you get what you pay for" is evident in reptile supplies. If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy the 2x2x4 dragon strand cage: https://dragonstrand.com/clear-side-enclosures/ from Bill Stand. They're the cat's pajamas in caging systems.

Lighting by Light Your Reptiles: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/ho...dia-6-bulb-3-x-daylight-bulbs-built-in-timer/

and a Mist-king misting system: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mistking+starter&hvadid=241991803385&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1014361&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14548340702659755596&hvtargid=aud-647006051489:kwd-316255021170&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_33cs2zfiz2_e

These three essential products will not only get you started, but will last. Plus, you're going to get the best support if something goes sideways. The people who sell these products are here on the site and contribute regularly as members and sponsors to the chameleon community at large. They are committed and invested in the longevity of our hobby. Plus, they make darn fine products in my opinion as a seasoned chameleon keeper.

Last edited:
Concerning the rust problem, would some sort of anti-corrosion spray fix that?

Possibly, but I don't have enough experience in the matter to recommend anything. Another thing to consider are the feeders (particularly crickets) escaping from a cup/run and into your house.

CQ,
You can get the repti-breeze cage, but I have found the old adage of "you get what you pay for" is evident in reptile supplies. If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy the 2x2x4 dragon strand cage: https://dragonstrand.com/clear-side-enclosures/ from Bill Stand. They're the cat's pajamas in caging systems.

Lighting by Light Your Reptiles: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/ho...dia-6-bulb-3-x-daylight-bulbs-built-in-timer/

and a Mist-king misting system: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mistking+starter&hvadid=241991803385&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1014361&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14548340702659755596&hvtargid=aud-647006051489:kwd-316255021170&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_33cs2zfiz2_e

These three essential products will not only get you started, but will last. Plus, you're going to get the best support if something goes sideways. The people who sell these products are here on the site and contribute regularly as members and sponsors to the chameleon community at large. They are committed and invested in the longevity of our hobby. Plus, they make darn fine products in my opinion as a seasoned chameleon keeper.
A Dragon Strand keeper kit could run up to four hundred dollars Canadian because of the exchange rate and shipping cost, which is why I stopped considering them. A clear side would be even more expensive and if Light Your Reptiles is American, then it goes for them, too. I also don't fully understand how something that is effectively a mesh rectangle would be best to spend top-dollar on for the best quality unless all other options straight-up break or don't work, which I haven't heard of. So basically, I would only get a Dragon Strand if all other options simply didn't work. Is that the case? I was planning on getting a Mist King, though.

I feel you - I'm also in Canada (BC) andthe shipping, especially for larger/heavier items can be pretty pricey! Dragon Strand is often recommended because it's top of the line, won't rust, and is sturdier in construction than the cheaper ReptiBreeze enclosures. That being said, ReptiBreeze is perfectly functional... it's just unlikely to last nearly as long!

I'd recommend buying some dragon ledges and possiblely an appropriately sized drip tray either way, through - they make things much easier and more elegant! I have some crazy engineering nonsense going on in my enclosure right now to the point where I'm afraid to try moving anything... the ledge kit would have saved me a lot of hassle, made everything much sturdier, and prevented me from damaging the screen multiple times.

Lighting wise, I've yet to find somewhere in Canada that can beat Todd's fixtures that also sell Arcadia products. It's really quite maddening... I've resigned myself to forking over the shipping at this point. If you find anywhere with quality T5HO quad fixtures and good brand bulbs, please let me know!

If you're handy, you can always build your own enclosure, too! I'd like to convert a cabinet at some point, when I have the time and room. For now, I'll stick with building my 36x18x36 ExoTerra bioactive for my little girl. :)

I feel you - I'm also in Canada (BC) andthe shipping, especially for larger/heavier items can be pretty pricey! Dragon Strand is often recommended because it's top of the line, won't rust, and is sturdier in construction than the cheaper ReptiBreeze enclosures. That being said, ReptiBreeze is perfectly functional... it's just unlikely to last nearly as long!

I'd recommend buying some dragon ledges and possiblely an appropriately sized drip tray either way, through - they make things much easier and more elegant! I have some crazy engineering nonsense going on in my enclosure right now to the point where I'm afraid to try moving anything... the ledge kit would have saved me a lot of hassle, made everything much sturdier, and prevented me from damaging the screen multiple times.

Lighting wise, I've yet to find somewhere in Canada that can beat Todd's fixtures that also sell Arcadia products. It's really quite maddening... I've resigned myself to forking over the shipping at this point. If you find anywhere with quality T5HO quad fixtures and good brand bulbs, please let me know!

If you're handy, you can always build your own enclosure, too! I'd like to convert a cabinet at some point, when I have the time and room. For now, I'll stick with building my 36x18x36 ExoTerra bioactive for my little girl. :)
I'm BC too! Thanks for the advice and info! I was planning on getting some ledges, they seem great. I will also probably go for Light Your Reptiles.

I'm BC too! Thanks for the advice and info! I was planning on getting some ledges, they seem great. I will also probably go for Light Your Reptiles.

Glad to be of help, and eeey! West coast, represent! :D Always happy to find enthusiasts nearby. Send me a PM if you're ever in the central Okanagan, haha! I love meeting people for coffee and being a nerd. :coffee:

I can't remember, did you settle on a species? I know a lady in the Greater Vancouver area, if you have. She primarily breeds Panthers, but she usually has veiled chams available once or twice a year. (y)

Glad to be of help, and eeey! West coast, represent! :D Always happy to find enthusiasts nearby. Send me a PM if you're ever in the central Okanagan, haha! I love meeting people for coffee and being a nerd. :coffee:

I can't remember, did you settle on a species? I know a lady in the Greater Vancouver area, if you have. She primarily breeds Panthers, but she usually has veiled chams available once or twice a year. (y)
I will be getting either a Panther or Veiled, maybe Jackson’s. I’d probably only get a veiled if I find one that is miraculously friendly, because I would be willing to pay the extra money for a chameleon that doesn’t hate me! And as for Jackson’s, I here that it is hard to find them captive bred. Got to see some in hawai’i, though!
Anywho, I have contacted or looked at pretty much every cham breeder that I could find in Canada, so I may have already heard of the one that you are referring to. Unless she doesn’t have a website. Unfortunately, two of the closest breeders to me had things that discouraged me from buying. I could contact the ones that didn’t have chams in at the time again and see if they have some in stock by the time that I have my setup ready, but the easiest option and best-priced option seems to be the chameleons at my local pet shop. I can see them right away, they don’t have to be shipped, and they are cheaper. Only thing about that is that the breeder that my pet store gets their chams from doesn’t have a website or any info online, so it is hard to know what the chameleons will look like when they grow up or if they are unhealthily bred. I do trust the store itself, though. I also started a thread a while ago about this but didn’t exactly come to a conclusion... Some people told me not to worry about the breeders that I was unsure about, though I don’t know if that even matters because they had very high prices and I’d prefer to get one from my pet store that’s less expensive. If the chameleons there are healthy, that is. And I think that they are, I contacted the store and asked about their care, which checked out. Plus they can do special orders for animals, so maybe I could request one from a reputable breeder anyways? Although, I don’t know if that would be any better than just buying directly from the breeder. Anyways, what do you think?

Last edited:
I will be getting either a Panther or Veiled, maybe Jackson’s. I’d probably only get a veiled if I find one that is miraculously friendly, because I would be willing to pay the extra money for a chameleon that doesn’t hate me! And as for Jackson’s, I here that it is hard to find them captive bred. Got to see some in hawai’i, though!
Anywho, I have contacted or looked at pretty much every cham breeder that I could find in Canada, so I may have already heard of the one that you are referring to. Unless she doesn’t have a website. Unfortunately, two of the closest breeders to me had things that discouraged me from buying. I could contact the ones that didn’t have chams in at the time again and see if they have some in stock by the time that I have my setup ready, but the easiest option and best-priced option seems to be the chameleons at my local pet shop. I can see them right away, they don’t have to be shipped, and they are cheaper. Only thing about that is that the breeder that my pet store gets their chams from doesn’t have a website or any info online, so it is hard to know what the chameleons will look like when they grow up or if they are unhealthily bred. I do trust the store itself, though. I also started a thread a while ago about this but didn’t exactly come to a conclusion... Some people told me not to worry about the breeders that I was unsure about, though I don’t know if that even matters because they had very high prices and I’d prefer to get one from my pet store that’s less expensive. If the chameleons there are healthy, that is. And I think that they are, I contacted the store and asked about their care, which checked out. Plus they can do special orders for animals, so maybe I could request one from a reputable breeder anyways? Although, I don’t know if that would be any better than just buying directly from the breeder. Anyways, what do you think?

At the end of the day, it's all personal preference. If you trust your pet store and they take good care of their animals, I suppose there's no harm in that! However, I always like to get animals from the source whenever possible so I have the lineage and know what kind of person I'm purchasing from, and a reputable breeder is a resource for life!

I went back through your threads, and found the one discussing breeders. I also initially had concerns re: Lisa down at Chronic Chameleon, but I had a long talk with her and she sufficiently explained her practices to my liking. I was going to get one of her F1 Ankaramy boys from her before Lily landed in my lap, and I'll likely be making a purchase from her in the future. Heck, i dont even have one of her babies (yet!) and she had been more than happy to chat with me and give me advice when requested, or sources to check if she isn't sure of the answer. I like and trust Lisa, and believe a couple extra bucks is worth it for quality and peace of mind!

Just my 2 cents. :)

At the end of the day, it's all personal preference. If you trust your pet store and they take good care of their animals, I suppose there's no harm in that! However, I always like to get animals from the source whenever possible so I have the lineage and know what kind of person I'm purchasing from, and a reputable breeder is a resource for life!

I went back through your threads, and found the one discussing breeders. I also initially had concerns re: Lisa down at Chronic Chameleon, but I had a long talk with her and she sufficiently explained her practices to my liking. I was going to get one of her F1 Ankaramy boys from her before Lily landed in my lap, and I'll likely be making a purchase from her in the future. Heck, i dont even have one of her babies (yet!) and she had been more than happy to chat with me and give me advice when requested, or sources to check if she isn't sure of the answer. I like and trust Lisa, and believe a couple extra bucks is worth it for quality and peace of mind!

Just my 2 cents. :)
All good to know! What was the breeder that you mentioned in your last post, by the way? I'd like to check them out, too.

Back
Top Bottom