What does white around the mouth mean?

ashley9333

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? veiled chameleon, female, about a 1yr an a half, i have her about 10months

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not very often she hisses and blows up turns black, i get scared.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I fed crickets every other day also keep a steady supply of collards and kale in her cage. crickets eat fruit greens and fish flakes and flunkers feed

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? dusting them with rep-cal phosphorus-free calcium w/vit.D3 ultrafine powder and rep-cal herptivite w/beta carotene multivitamins every other feeding.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a fountain, a dripper and i mist 2-3 times a day

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? usually brown very little white w/gushy clear stuff

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Idk it was my sisters

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? I have her in a 6ft tall by 5ft wide mesh wire cage. i have fake flowers, branches and foliage

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?i have a uvb light small tropical one. I have a heat lamp. both on for 12 hours w/ sun light coming in the window

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I dont know the temps about 80 at top and bottom 78-79

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I dont know anything about this

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Next to a window that has very clear plastic to keep the draft out for the winter. No fans next to a base bored heater um yes shes in the corner of the living room. 6ft from floor
Location - Where are you geographically located? im in covington, ky in the u. s

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

My female veiled cham has a little white around her mouth, does this mean shes not getting enough water?

no it's not coming out of the mouth or the nose. I just thought it was weird. Yeah its around her mouth she could be shedding she has not shed in a while. ok thanks

If you post a picture we can take a look.
Also, you have some stuff you need to change regarding your husbandry.
She should be getting the two supplements you are using, plus a calcium with d3 twice a month.
regarding light, Sunlight through a window does NOT give her the UVB rays she needs. UVB rays cannot pass through glass. What brand is her uvb light? and how old is it? what wattage?
Crickets should not be eating fish food, it is not designed for crickets or chameleons. you need to gutload better. PLease find sandrachameleons blog on gutloading. and start using the items listed.
You really should remove the fountain from her cage. it can be a breeding ground for bacteria if she poops in it ,or crickets get into it.
Also, you should be feeding her other foods besides crickets, other bugs.

Now her whole head is turning white shes shedding. Iv'e been to website after website most of them feed tropical fish flakes to. Also they eat fruits and veggie and flunkers. calcium every other day and calcuim d3 2x month with the vit

Now her whole head is turning white shes shedding. Iv'e been to website after website most of them feed tropical fish flakes to. Also they eat fruits and veggie and flunkers. calcium every other day and calcuim d3 2x month with the vit

I know what alot of the websites say.. fish food is not for crickets. those sites are wrong.
Remember, what your crickets eat, your chameleon eats. and fish food does not provide the proper nutrients for your chameleon.
You need to gutload better.
I use collard greens, apples, oranges, squash, potatoes once in a while, carrots. bee pollen, and some other various fruits and veggies.
PLease find sandrachameleons blog on gutloading.
And stop using the fish food! ;)

More specifically, fish foods, dog foods, cat foods and chicken feed are high in animal protein which when your cham is getting too much, can cause a condition called gout. You should research that. Just because a website says they use something does not mean it is best for your cham. The ppl here have been keeping chameleons for YEARS and have been doing so successfully. If you look at reputable breeder websites...for example, the sponsors of this forum, I bet you will see none of them recommending or using fish food to GUTLOAD the crickets. If you are seeing this on websites for feeders...it is a good food to feed for breeding more feeders but NOT appropriate for insects your cham is about to eat.:)

Ok, thank you. I just never seen it around the mouth first.

They can start in the strangest places. My guy doesnt even start in the same place each time. once he started along his back spines, once his belly, once his tail, again on his head... its just random.

Back
Top Bottom