What does this color mean is it stress or just basking

Attachments

• 71FABDA0-C810-4585-8C3E-2B31C21A366C.jpeg
    71FABDA0-C810-4585-8C3E-2B31C21A366C.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 32691898-4E33-40FC-BDD7-E65D76B83B2C.jpeg
    32691898-4E33-40FC-BDD7-E65D76B83B2C.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 81
When a chameleon turns very dark it could be that they are cold, or it could be a stress response. Are they this color while basking? What is the temp in the basking spot and in the rest of the cage?

When a chameleon turns very dark it could be that they are cold, or it could be a stress response. Are they this color while basking? What is the temp in the basking spot and in the rest of the cage?
She is this color while basking yes
Her temp is around 82 at top 70 at bottom

Also she is only this color during the day when it’s darker she turns brighter and goes lower in the cage to sleep also when she is lower in the cage she is brighter

I went through the exact same thing with my chameleon months ago. Have you gotten your husbandry reviewed?

Please fill out the husbandry form so we can get a better idea of what is going on.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Female, 5-6 months age, 2 months in my care
  • Handling - 2-3 times a week for a few minutes
  • Feeding - Crickets and SuperWorms, 5 Large crickets a day around 3 supers a week, daily crickets supers as treats, bell peppers and carrots and apples
  • Supplements - w/o d3 everyday and w/ d3 every other week
  • Watering - misting before lights go on for 2 minutes and after lights go off for 2 minutes. dripper on all day i have seen her drink
  • Fecal Description - not tested around 3-4 times a week brown solid urates white with a little yellow
  • History - got her from petsmart
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - screen self built 2x2x4
  • Lighting - 100w bulb and a 6% arcadia t5ho bulb 14 inch
  • Temperature - basking around 82 bottem of cage 70 middle 74-78 overnight around 60 with a digital thermostat
  • Humidity - 40 to 60% a hygrometer im using life plants
  • Plants - yes two foliage plants and a snake plant
  • Placement - in my room low traffic around 6 feet off ground next to closed window next to ac not blowing directly on her rarely on
  • Location - PA, USA
Current Problem - Her dark color IMG_0698.jpg IMG_0697.jpg IMG_0696.jpg

Yeah I agree with @AmandaS

But what exactly do you have going on with the box on top of the cage? And is the mesh on top torn? That can pose a risk for her getting out. The box is a fire risk.
Wondering the same.
And hole in the screen *appears * to be where the bulb is. I could be wrong, but if she escapes she will likely get burned too.

I understand the way it looks ? it’s a hole for my dripper since i have have waterproof mesh the light is around 4 inches off the enclosure during the day it’s covered with the dripper at night I cover it with a little peice off wood

I understand the way it looks ? it’s a hole for my dripper since i have have waterproof mesh the light is around 4 inches off the enclosure during the day it’s covered with the dripper at night I cover it with a little peice off wood
What type of screening is it that you have? Is it fiberglass? I don’t recall the specifics, but some types of screening aren’t well penetrated by uvb.

not exactly sure its pet proof screening
I would switch that top panel to aluminum window screen to ensure that the uvb is passing through it. @MissSkittles is absolutely correct on yours possibly causing an issue. Without a solarmeter there is no way to know exacts but I do know that the pet proof screening is typically thicker...
With a T5 and a 6% you want 9 inches to basking right below the bulb.

Should be able to get a small roll for about $8 at the hardware store. Then your dripper will work by setting it directly on the top or if your running a hose line you can just have a tiny hole.

I would switch that top panel to aluminum window screen to ensure that the uvb is passing through it. @MissSkittles is absolutely correct on yours possibly causing an issue. Without a solarmeter there is no way to know exacts but I do know that the pet proof screening is typically thicker...
With a T5 and a 6% you want 9 inches to basking right below the bulb.

Should be able to get a small roll for about $8 at the hardware store. Then your dripper will work by setting it directly on the top or if your running a hose line you can just have a tiny hole.
will do

Back
Top Bottom