What does does my chameleon have?

Hey! My chameleons enclosure is in my bedroom, and before falling asleep and I heard a wheezing sound/gasp/ hiss. I went over to his cage and he did it one more time but didn’t open his mouth or anything. I was freaking out so I took him out of his enclosure and checked his throat and there was a very small amount of bubbles. I went to sleep and now, in the morning I checked on him, and there is no bubbles head is not facing up or anything, no sounds or anything! Perfectly fine!? Also previously the day before he went to bed he was active, eating tons, drinking, and everything good! Should I be worried? Also I don’t know if this matters but yesterday he also tried his first superworms?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon~ Male~ in my care for 3 months~ Age 4-6 Months
  • Handling - Every 2-3 days
  • Feeding - Dubia Roaches and Crickets as Staple~ Hornworms, WaxWorms and Mealworms as occasional or treats. Gutload Staples with carrots, apples, and Alfafa meal. Others with commercial insect food products
  • Flukers Calcium NOD3 every day/every other day~~ZooMed Calcium with D3 2-3 times a month
  • Watering - Mist 1-2x a day or depending on humidity level, Chameleon drinks regularly
  • Fecal Description - smooth, thick, dark brown normal chameleon poop~never tested for parasites
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Hybrid/Dual Cage~~ Screen cage with two sides of glass panels attached for humidity~~ Used to be in an all glass vivatarium
  • Lighting - 11 Hours of Sleep—13 hours of Daylight
  • Temperature - Day 75-80F low~~ 85-90F High—-Night 75-78F
  • Humidity - Day-45F-65F. Night-60F-100F
  • Plants - Assorted Live and Fake Plants~ Trying to slowly switch to 100% live
  • Placement - Waist Level in a very low traffic room that almost no one enters besides me
  • Location - NorthEast USA, Chameleon is always indoors

Hi. :) You’ll most definitely want to keep a close eye/ear on your guy and keep your vet’s phone number on hand. It’s possible he’s in the very early stages of a respiratory infection. While the sound could have just been him making a random hiss, I don’t like that he had bubbles in his mouth. If there is something going on with him, keep in mind that they can go downhill very fast, so if you see/hear anything unusual again get him to a vet quickly.
Your husbandry looks pretty good but I do have a few suggestions. Give me a few and I’ll go thru it.

I’ll put my feedback on bold.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon~ Male~ in my care for 3 months~ Age 4-6 Months
  • Handling - Every 2-3 days
  • Feeding - Dubia Roaches and Crickets as Staple~ Hornworms, WaxWorms and Mealworms as occasional or treats. Gutload Staples with carrots, apples, and Alfafa meal. Others with commercial insect food products Good variety but instead of mealworms, try superworms. Silkworms are also fantastic staples to add. You could improve on your gutloading. Add some greens like dandelion, mustard, collards, arugula, watercress, etc. Various squashes, bell pepper, sweet potato are also great additions. Attaching gutloading graphic.
  • Flukers Calcium NOD3 every day/every other day~~ZooMed Calcium with D3 2-3 times a month You should be using the calcium without D3 for every feeding. The calcium with D3 should be one feeding every other week. Then you need to add a multivitamin for one feeding every other week (alternating with the D3). I like Reptivite as it has preformed vitamin A for healthy eyes. It does come both with and without D3 - you’ll want the one without.
  • Watering - Mist 1-2x a day or depending on humidity level, Usually misting should be at least twice a day for 2 minutes each time. Right before lights go on and then again before lights go off. If you like for mid day you can add an additional misting or use a dripper. Chameleon drinks regularly
  • Fecal Description - smooth, thick, dark brown normal chameleon poop~never tested for parasites It’s always a good idea to test fecal as one never knows. If you do need to take your guy to a vet, do take a fresh poo for testing.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Hybrid/Dual Cage~~ Screen cage with two sides of glass panels attached for humidity~~ Used to be in an all glass vivatarium
  • Lighting - 11 Hours of Sleep—13 hours of Daylight Usually a 12 hour lights on/off is what we use. Give your guy an extra hour of sleep. :)
  • Temperature - Day 75-80F low~~ 85-90F High—-Night 75-78F This is too hot for him. Bring your basking temps down to between 80-85. If you’re fogging at night, your temps need to be much cooler - like below 70f. High heat plus high humidity promotes conditions for respiratory infections.
  • Humidity - Day-45F-65F. Night-60F-100F Daytime is just a tad high. Ideally should be below 50%. Make sure you’ve got very good air movement. You may need/want to add a small muffin type fan to the top (drawing in air from your enclosure) to promote better air circulation.
  • Plants - Assorted Live and Fake Plants~ Trying to slowly switch to 100% live All live plants is best, as it sounds like you know. You can attach the fake ones to the outside of your enclosure to give him a bit more sense of privacy,
  • Placement - Waist Level in a very low traffic room that almost no one enters besides me Does he have the ability to be higher than you? If not, that’s something to work on changing. Height means safety and security for chams.
  • Location - NorthEast USA, Chameleon is always indoors
75647964-D63D-4942-8AA0-A2E0BAECE8C6.jpeg

I just realized you didn’t say what type of uvb you’re using. Hopefully you’ve got a linear T5 with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% bulb as that is the standard. Screw in bulbs aren’t able to provide adequate uvb levels except for within about 2” directly below them and 10.0/12% uvb are too strong.

Back
Top Bottom