What do you wish you had known (dubia, hornworms, waxworms)

KeanuChameleon

I am getting my first shipment of small dubia roaches, hornworms and waxworms. What do you wish you had known when getting your first shipment and/or when feeding these critters to your chameleon for the first time?
Thanks!

Dubias are slow and clumsy. They never move around when I feed them. I feed red runners and discoids, along with other roaches, over dubias now. Hornworms can get massive quick, and should only be hand-fed. Waxworms can be gutloaded with honey and are healthy to feed when pupated into moths (same with hornworms, if your cham can handle really big moths)

Dubias are slow and clumsy. They never move around when I feed them. I feed red runners and discoids, along with other roaches, over dubias now. Hornworms can get massive quick, and should only be hand-fed. Waxworms can be gutloaded with honey and are healthy to feed when pupated into moths (same with hornworms, if your cham can handle really big moths)
Thank you! Great info!

I wish I would have known:

Dubias need to be on heat to gutload.

Hornworms grow really fast. Cycling them on and off cold packs every 12-24 hours slows their growth.

Waxworms are fat sacks and should only be treats. I thought that they could be fed all the time and they should not be.
I had no idea about the heat or really any of this. Thank you!

So how do you provide heat to Dubia? I have 50 of them and I thought I only had to feed them fresh veggies! So do I have to provide heat to my crickets as well? Can I just put a heating pad on low under their plastic bins?

So how do you provide heat to Dubia? I have 50 of them and I thought I only had to feed them fresh veggies! So do I have to provide heat to my crickets as well? Can I just put a heating pad on low under their plastic bins?
That's a good question. I'm not sure, hopefully someone can help us out. :)

Jamest0o0 said that I don’t really have to. I pmd him about it. I imagine if it were really cold in my house I would, but it’s not. He said you can add a heat mat if you want to but not to worry about it

I hate crickets ( hate being a bit stronge) but the jumpy little shites do my head in lol 😆 so for me personally I would like to know/ understand more about silkworms as I can't seem to keep alive long . Just got around 100 4th hooper locusts wow can they eat lol 😆but loving the learning

I had to use a heat mat... I have never had luck getting them to eat unless it is warmer then 78. So I keep them on a heat pad for a tank and keep them in the tank in their containers. If you have a hot area of your house that works too. I just never have had a garage that I could utilize.

Back
Top Bottom