What do you think?

My boy bort is a year and 3 months old now and has been doing something strange recently. He's been gaping throughout the day but it's only a half gape. He'll walk around like this and then sometimes he'll yawn/stretch or he'll just close his mouth. Could it be because he's about to shed? One of his back paws are shedding right now. The temperatures are all okay, they've been the same for a long time. I would check his feces to see if he's dehydrated but I have so much foliage that It would take an entire day to find. I'm assuming he's well hydrated because his eyes are nice and full as well as full head pads. What do you think? 20170407_084157.jpg 20170407_084141.jpg

My boy bort is a year and 3 months old now and has been doing something strange recently. He's been gaping throughout the day but it's only a half gape. He'll walk around like this and then sometimes he'll yawn/stretch or he'll just close his mouth. Could it be because he's about to shed? One of his back paws are shedding right now. The temperatures are all okay, they've been the same for a long time. I would check his feces to see if he's dehydrated but I have so much foliage that It would take an entire day to find. I'm assuming he's well hydrated because his eyes are nice and full as well as full head pads. What do you think? View attachment 180006 View attachment 180007
Has his mouth looked like sticky and had be been making a gasping noise alot?

In fact I know he's not dehydrated, luckily I walked in while he was doing his business and dropped the biggest very white urate I've ever seen

If he's not dehydrated, then perhaps he's overheated? Check your temperatures and observe where he stays throughout the day.

Sorry for such a late reply, Ive been pretty busy. His basking spot is 85 give or take a degree or so. Middle of his enclosure is 75. As for where he's done it, I've seen him do it everywhere. He will be moving in the middle of the enclosure doing it or up top walking along the basking branch, vines, and so on. I've been keeping an eye on him but he hasn't been doing it nearly as often, I haven't seen him do it at all yesterday.

Sorry for such a late reply, Ive been pretty busy. His basking spot is 85 give or take a degree or so. Middle of his enclosure is 75. As for where he's done it, I've seen him do it everywhere. He will be moving in the middle of the enclosure doing it or up top walking along the basking branch, vines, and so on. I've been keeping an eye on him but he hasn't been doing it nearly as often, I haven't seen him do it at all yesterday.
If it's starting to go away good, check and make sure there is no mucus in the mouth when he opens

Back
Top Bottom