What do you think is this too much or ok ? please help

berreg

is this too much foliage for my baby yemen ? these are real plants
she is eating locusts but not that many a day , but seems to be eating some of the plants unless its the locusts ?

Attachments

• 85cafc72-0d04-44ff-938d-9e9e4296cccf.jpg
    85cafc72-0d04-44ff-938d-9e9e4296cccf.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 19812a89-00fa-48c3-8a77-5ab8af464cc4.jpg
    19812a89-00fa-48c3-8a77-5ab8af464cc4.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 90
Definitely not too much—maybe even not enough. IDT I've ever seen too much.

If any of those vines are fake, I'd get rid of them in favor of live vines.
Veileds are known for nibbling. Not to worry—it's normal, but that's partly why anything fake isn't a good idea. ;)

Hi! This enclosure is too small for your baby, and I am seeing some care problems. I suggest getting your husbandry reviewed by some members here. They will be able to lead you in the right direction:)

Please fill out this form :)

@MissSkittles @AmandaS

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Her enclosure is 45cm by 45 cm by 60cm what size would you recommend.

Attachments

• 9e4ff289-4c69-414a-a88a-95aea48023b5.jpg
    9e4ff289-4c69-414a-a88a-95aea48023b5.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 64
ok im in uk. i knew i was going to have to get a bigger one eventually, but thought this would be ok as she is so tiny

they do a 45x60x 90 or a 90x90x 45

Attachments

• 95827d1c-ccfe-4a7d-82b8-55089ff1d93e.jpg
    95827d1c-ccfe-4a7d-82b8-55089ff1d93e.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 2ed23df8-844f-42bc-9c30-c6e21fd6d273.jpg
    2ed23df8-844f-42bc-9c30-c6e21fd6d273.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 82
check out DIYcages.com

For their sizing:

For a male, he will eventually need an XL.
but the minimum requirements for a female are a Large. Although, the bigger the better. :)

The 24x24x48 is not necessary at this very second (and not even necessary for a full grown female).

You’ll want to upgrade soon (they get big quick). I’ve kept females in 18x18x36 quite comfortably.

You’re going to catch flack about wanting to use Exo Terra’s, but I’ve used them for many different species with great success. The 45x45x90 will work. A screen enclosure will be much cheaper FYI, and will allow for changes in humidity (healthy and necessary for them), and you’ll still be able to get humidity at levels required for veileds.

Hi! :) Cute baby girl you have.
I agree with @Klyde O'Scope that you can never have too many plants. The main thing is that they need to be safe, as you already have seen veiled’s will eat their plants. Looking at your enclosure, the only plant I’m not sure about safety is the fern. The other looks like a parlor palm and umbrella tree, both of which are fine. Pothos (devil’s Ivy) is always a favorite for chameleons. I’m attaching a graphic on safe plants.
I’m also attaching the lay bin graphic. While much too young right now, your little cutie will be full grown and ready to lay eggs before you know it. They can start laying as young as 5-6 months.
Your current enclosure is ok for now, but as I said, soon she’ll be a big girl and be needing much more space. You’ll also be needing space to keep the lay bin. I prefer to give chameleons as much space as possible with the 60x60x120 cm enclosures, but you can keep females in a little bit smaller. I also prefer screen as it gives me ease in keeping my humidity between the ideal 30-50% and provides more than adequate ventilation. With the addition of Dragon Ledges I have no problems attaching branches, vines and even plants where I want them. Screen also makes drainage of excess water much easier as there’s more options, such as drilling the bottom plastic and having a bucket below. With glass enclosures, many do as you have which is to put a substrate on the floor. The problems with that are it becomes mud and holds in too much humidity and also holds bacteria as your little one answer’s nature’s call. Bare floor is best. Some keepers use wet vacs or other types of suction to remove excess water daily. Some create a bioactive enclosure with a drainage layer and the ability to suction out excess water. Much of the decision between screen or glass is how much daily care you are wanting and able to do to ensure your enclosure parameters remain within ideal ranges and also upon your climate. Those in very arid climates prefer glass.
I hope my rambling on has been of some help. If you complete the help form provided above, a member can look everything over and make sure you’ve got everything else just right for your baby. There’s a great deal of misinformation out there on keeping chameleons and too many of us have fallen victim to it and making serious errors.
Btw, welcome! Very glad to have you here. :)
0A83C825-6B39-4393-8112-B2622AF3C430.jpeg
592EB638-665B-4BBA-8C00-26510083D5FD.jpeg

right i have just bought this lot.
Arcadia ProT5 Kit 12% 24w A little strong, but you can raise the light or lower the basking area.
Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Screen Cage 61x61x122cm Good size. If you haven't got any, I'd get a digital hygrometer/thermometer or 3 to monitor temps & humidity.
Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Substrate Tray Large This is intended to be the substrate, and possibly double as a drainage tray.

what substrate preferably decorative ? None. See above. If you're not going full bioactive (for which you'd need a different bottom tray) I'd just use this tray, or possibly set four 12" x 12" (nominal) natural ceramic/stone tiles on top (no gaps or grout). You'll still need a way to drain/remove excess water from misting & watering plants—either a drainage system or wet-vac.

Back
Top Bottom