What do these colors mean?

Brokaylacham

Established Member
Alright so i'm not sure what his "happy" colors are or his "scared/angry" colors are but i was wondering if some of you cham enthusiasts can shed (get it) some information on what his could mean so that i can continue or stop doing what i do.

He gets like this whenever he crawls on me or whenever he's on my bed, i don't force him on me he willingly climbs up my arm. I can't transfer better pictures to my computer right now but he gets brighter than that and he starts to get an orangy red around his arms and face.
IMG_1396.JPG

I don't have a picture but i can get one soon but whenever i put him outside to crawl on a tree he get's super dark and he doesn't move, the vet and others told me to take him outside often. I heard that darker colors mean anger so i'm not sure why he is like this when supposedly chameleons are at their happiest crawling on trees outside.

They often darken to absorb heat more efficiently, so that could be it. I don't know your cham so I won't presume that this is the absolute truth with him, but.... often times, the brighter they are, the more stressed they are. I guess you'll just have to get to know him well enough to learn to interpret his behaviors.

They often darken to absorb heat more efficiently, so that could be it. I don't know your cham so I won't presume that this is the absolute truth with him, but.... often times, the brighter they are, the more stressed they are. I guess you'll just have to get to know him well enough to learn to interpret his behaviors.
ohh okay because i read somewhere that when they're bright that's like their happy or chill color.

My panther usually lightens up a tad when he's outside of the enclosure. He doesn't seem stressed IMO. I refer to them as his 'cruising colors'

To understand colors you need to understand stress. Stress isn't always a bad thing, we are stressed when we exercise, when we're overwhelmed, when we're scared, excited, etc. It's stimulation. Knowing if it's bad or not depends on the situation. It's part of learning your animal's body language

To understand colors you need to understand stress. Stress isn't always a bad thing, we are stressed when we exercise, when we're overwhelmed, when we're scared, excited, etc. It's stimulation. Knowing if it's bad or not depends on the situation. It's part of learning your animal's body language
Thats what I was getting at when I said he/She just needed to learn to interpret his/her cham.

Do you think he will be less stressed when i get him his big boy cage by the end of October? Could this be why he likes to crawl on me so much?

Yes, if your cage isn't above eye level at it's highest, he won't be happy either
Okay great to know, if you have any good suggestions on a cage that would be big enough for an adult so i don't have to keep buying cages that would be great!

Well depends, what's your budget? Right now my one cage is below eye level, I'm going to put bricks under it to raise it up asap.

Back
Top Bottom