What Do I do When she lays the eggs?

lightningmaqueen

Hi All, I Have a female Veild Cham an she is digging test holes as of today. The Problem Is Once she lays her Eggs I have Absolutely no idea How to keep them so they hatch and survive... I apreciate All The advice i can get from people Who have been successful at hatching Veild eggs... God Bless you For your expirienced knowledge in advance, Thank you. Jason~

Did she mate? The eggs won't be fertile if she didn't.
If they aren't fertile, dig them up...count them so you will know how big the clutch is.
If they could be fertile incubate them....
I use shoebox sized tupperware-type containers with lids. I punch two tiny tiny holes in the lid. I fill the container about half full of slightly moist coarse vermiculite. To test for moisture, take a fist full of it and squeeze it...if no more than a drop or two of water comes out then the moisture level should be okay. Do not turn the eggs as you move them from where they were laid to the container. Lay them in rows about 1" apart in all directions in shallow dents made with your thumb in the vermiculite. Put the lid on and place them in a dark place where the temperature is in the right range (72-74F). Moisture will form on the sides of the container and underside of the lid.

Last edited:
If they are fertile???
Go to you local aquatic dealer and get a large polystyrene box they get there fish in, normaly free as they only throw them away. Then get a heat mat to stick to the rear of box(some put it on the bottom) with a HygroTherm - Humidity & Temp Controller to keep them at around 68f-74f some people like to keep them higher to hatch them quicker. Then you need to add a inch or so of water at the bottom of the box to keep the humidity up, you also need a plactic container to put some pearlite/vermaculite in (your prefrence) and remember to add water to it so it not dry but not wet you should be able to get a handful and sqweez it and only get a few drops of water out of it! When it come to puting your egg container in the poly box use some bricks or something to keep egg box out of the water.Then put your eggs in about 1" apart and let them do what they do!
I also put a small peice of class in the top so i could see what going on without desterbing them to much, you will also have to open the lid every week or so to exchange the air inside!
Or you can go buy one! This is just a cheap way of doing it and it works for me and many others.
I think im right in saying you will lose some eggs normaly, i have a 80% hatching success rate.
Just to add you may have to put some holes in the poly box if it gets to hot. I live in the uk and my heat mat never comes on as its just at the right temp all depends on where you live ect???
I have added some pics of the one i made to help!
P1030041.JPG

P1030042.JPG

P1030043.JPG

WOW, I'm glad I live in the states where all I need to do is do the vermiculite thing.

If they are fertile???
Go to you local aquatic dealer and get a large polystyrene box they get there fish in, normaly free as they only throw them away. Then get a heat mat to stick to the rear of box(some put it on the bottom) with a HygroTherm - Humidity & Temp Controller to keep them at around 68f-74f some people like to keep them higher to hatch them quicker. Then you need to add a inch or so of water at the bottom of the box to keep the humidity up, you also need a plactic container to put some pearlite/vermaculite in (your prefrence) and remember to add water to it so it not dry but not wet you should be able to get a handful and sqweez it and only get a few drops of water out of it! When it come to puting your egg container in the poly box use some bricks or something to keep egg box out of the water.Then put your eggs in about 1" apart and let them do what they do!
I also put a small peice of class in the top so i could see what going on without desterbing them to much, you will also have to open the lid every week or so to exchange the air inside!
Or you can go buy one! This is just a cheap way of doing it and it works for me and many others.
I think im right in saying you will lose some eggs normaly, i have a 80% hatching success rate.
Just to add you may have to put some holes in the poly box if it gets to hot. I live in the uk and my heat mat never comes on as its just at the right temp all depends on where you live ect???
I have added some pics of the one i made to help!
View attachment 33968

View attachment 33969

View attachment 33970

WOW, I'm glad I live in the states where all I need to do is do the vermiculite thing.

Agreed, that seems a bit extensive. I just use an incubator I got from lllreptile. I add some water every once and a while to the hatchrite. My eggs have been in there for a month and they still look fertile so I'm hoping for the best. Here is a good video from chamelotchameleons that I thought helped a lot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Rq-EzsBuY

Back
Top Bottom