What color should chameleons be during basking?

What I think Chris is trying to say, is that despite the species, a basking temp 10-20f Above that species recommended Ambient Maximum temp ,is not a problem, and indeed will be used by the animal , just as it will use hot sunny spots in nature that may often also be much above its prefered maximum ambient.

He has also pointed out that caging and nature are vastly different, in that choices of temp for a lizard are almost infinite in nature, not so in a cage, hence, while basking temps well higher than the max ambient are not in themselves dangerous, Provided the lizard has access to the widest possible gradient you can provide.

I gave a range of 70-82 degrees, which is plenty of thermoregulation options

I have to disagree mate, nature is not anywhere near so precise,
Imo a gradient of under 50f/10c is not a gradient at all. A gradient refers to the variance between the hottest and the coolest temps the animal can experience in a given environment, not the difference between basking temp and max ambient temp.

I would like to add that while this is true, keepers should be aware of proximity of highest perches to a very hot heat source and the risk of burns.
As I mentioned earlier, temp variance in nature is unlimited, not so the cage where there is generally no way to create a very hot basking temp without close enough proximity to the heat source to risk burns, no so in nature.
Large doses of common sense recommended. :)

Last edited:
I know this is old, but what a great read! Sounds like we need a way to measure different temps i.e. room temp, basking spot temp and basking spot's ability to generate heat absorption and in turn ability to generate a much higher core temperature than the actual basking spot temperature.

Something interesting to think about with mountain species, those closer to the sun. They might come from lower temperatures, but they could possibly have the ability to create warmer cores (% wise) than we might think.

Back
Top Bottom