what color light is visible?

PabloTheCham

Chameleon Enthusiast
My cham's schedule is from 7 to 7, which means that when I go to bed at 11, the cham wakes up when I walk in and turn the lights on. I however have strip lights, and can choose what color I want them to be with a remote. Since chams can't see a certain color light, can I make the lights be that color so he doesn't wake up? What color should it be? I have practically every shade of every color on the remote. (All Shades of red, green, yellow, pink, and blue)

My cham's schedule is from 7 to 7, which means that when I go to bed at 11, the cham wakes up when I walk in and turn the lights on. I however have strip lights, and can choose what color I want them to be with a remote. Since chams can't see a certain color light, can I make the lights be that color so he doesn't wake up? What color should it be? I have practically every shade of every color on the remote. (All Shades of red, green, yellow, pink, and blue)

Me again. My female is in our master bath, my male is in my office. Both places I use late at night. What I have found is that "some" light being left on in the room does not bother them so much, but not all night. My male just went to sleep above me and the light is on.
What does bother them is lights being turned on. In the bathroom, or office If I will need it, I leave a smaller light on. in the room not the cage. Then I can see and she is undisturbed, and then I turn it off when I go to bed.

It is not true that chameleons do not see some color or light: they see all parts of the spectrum reaching from IR through white light including all its components to UV

Do not irradiate him with any light ag night, he will not be able to sleep fully

It is not true that chameleons do not see some color or light: they see all parts of the spectrum reaching from IR through white light including all its components to UV

Do not irradiate him with any light ag night, he will not be able to sleep fully

I think he meant the Parietal eye, not the cones.

In which case, the Parietal eye only have Blue and Green receptors, it cannot detect Red or UV.

However OP, those lights do not work like you think they do. Even when the light looks red, it's really a bunch of light spectrums with a red tint. Which is why those "Red Night Heat" bulbs don't work.

A true, pure UV light should not be detectable at night either, BUT there again, I don't think they are putting out solely UVA either. So there goes that idea.

Best to just have no lights.

As Petr said, as far as eyes open, Chameleons have excellent color vision, 4 cones to our 3 as a matter of fact. They have same as our, Red, Blue, Green, but also UVA come as well.

I think he meant the Parietal eye, not the cones.

In which case, the Parietal eye only have Blue and Green receptors, it cannot detect Red or UV.

However OP, those lights do not work like you think they do. Even when the light looks red, it's really a bunch of light spectrums with a red tint. Which is why those "Red Night Heat" bulbs don't work.

A true, pure UV light should not be detectable at night either, BUT there again, I don't think they are putting out solely UVA either. So there goes that idea.

Best to just have no lights.

As Petr said, as far as eyes open, Chameleons have excellent color vision, 4 cones to our 3 as a matter of fact. They have same as our, Red, Blue, Green, but also UVA come as well.

I meant the combination of sensory perception by all available organs not only parietal eye of course.

Back
Top Bottom