What causes mucus to be in the poop?

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Wondering if any of you have noticed poop with excess mucus(panther in this case)? Regular solid droppings, but with mucus around it. I could probably get a picture if anyone really wants. I'm wondering what causes this to occasionally happen.... I've had multiple fecals done at 2 different vets and nothing has come up. Everything's fine otherwise, but it just seems odd to me. Any thoughts?

In animals in general mucous is a response to irritation or builds up if the feces is passing too slowly, for instance in horses.
I would have said parasites if I hadn't read your entire post.

In animals in general mucous is a response to irritation or builds up if the feces is passing too slowly, for instance in horses.
I would have said parasites if I hadn't read your entire post.

Just the person I like to hear from, thanks! So I do notice this seems to happen when they go a long time without pooping and then drop a big one. Think it could be constipation?

Something along that line. Other that adjusting heat and hydration I don't know how to move things along in a pure carnivore because increasing fibre in the diet isn't practical. Maybe better sources of magnesium in your gut load might help but don't get carried away.

Something along that line. Other that adjusting heat and hydration I don't know how to move things along in a pure carnivore because increasing fibre in the diet isn't practical. Maybe better sources of magnesium in your gut load might help but don't get carried away.

Will be giving that a try. Maybe I'll up the misting or add some showers in too. Some hornworms might be good too.

Back
Top Bottom