What can you feed superworms?

leid

What can you feed superworms? Fred's taking his sweet time on finishing his crickets and I want to ensure my supers will stay alive. Is there anything I can give them to eat?

Below is directly from the Mulberry Farms site:

NOTE: DO NOT REFRIGERATE, STORE IN BRAN OR OATMEAL SUBSTRATE W/CARROTS OR POTATOES FOR MOISTURE.

How many did you get, and how long are you going to be storing them is the question?:)

-Jay

You could feed Hank supers.. mix em with dinner..

On a serious note.. If there is such a thing...

I just keep mine in their container in a drawer. Never feed em anything..Never had them change..some get hard and die but I tend to feed em off before that happens.. Leo has died and I have like 8-10 left.. they are just hanging out.. Not sure if you are supposed to feed them anything..I imagine they would eat..just not sure what if you arent breeding them..

I only got 12 for right now. Didn't want to buy too many if Picky McPickerston (Fred) decided he didn't like them.

Hank would kill me. LOL. On top of bugs in his dinner, he'd probably disown me since he's a vegetarian. ;)

Oh and Jay,

I think they came in oatmeal substrate, since they're hanging out in sand-looking stuff. Is that what pet supply places sell them in normally? I have some carrots I can pop in there. Thanks for that!!

I treat mine the same as crickets. They are stored in oatbran and then gutloaded with slices of carrot, kale, collard greens, endive, apple scattered on the top. Basically anything that is good to gutload a cricket. You just have to watch that the top of the bran doesnt get to moist from any fruit etc. Orange doesnt work too well.

Ha.. even better.. I dont think insects are considered Meat! I remember when I was a vegetarian (many years ago), I was studying it and someone told me that one day, we all will be eating insects and that some vegetarians are already starting so they can get their protein intake.. Got a good argument there.:)

Mine come in like..shavings of some sort..mealworm bedding I think..I leave em be..But yea, I guess gutloading would be ideal.. I just dont think I could fit a carrot int he small container they come in and I dont have enough bedding to dump them..Not that I need supers anymore anyways..:(

dude they went to town on the carrots.

Ew. Eating bugs?! Fricken gross man. No way in hell. :eek:

I used to eat Chocolate covered crickets when I was kid..granted i didnt KNOW that what they were.. and grasshoppers too.. But then I found out im allergic to chocolate. LOL.. But yea, I know people who have eaten mealworms as salad toppings..

Bugs can be very nutritious. :) good for human and chameleon :)

To ensure your superworms stay alive and have some nutritional value for your chameleon (or you), store in a container at about room temp, feed them bran and oats (substrate) with a piece of yam, potatoe, carrot placed or similar on top. Do not let the substrate get moldy.

They will live a long time this way.

Back
Top Bottom