What can I feed to increase protein?

jajeanpierre

Chameleon Enthusiast
I want to increase protein for one specific chameleon I have.

Which feeder insects have the highest protein and how complete is it?

Thanks.

fz32BfK.jpg

table-large.png

Enjoy!

Those are obviously two different analyses and have two different results, but may still be helpful.

Last edited:
Silks. I have never seen the second graph which puts silks at 9.3% protein, the others I have seen list them in the 60% + range. Most Roach dry foods contain about 20% protein, so if you use a dry roach gut load, you will be putting good levels of protein into the chameleon.

My Roach Bedding Chow is 20% protein, my WOW Chow is 24%.

CHEERS!

Nick

Last edited:
Enjoy!

Those are obviously two different analyses and have two different results, but may still be helpful.

Thanks!

Where did you get those charts from? I'm hoping someone can direct me to the scientific studies done on insect protein and what to feed to increase protein levels.

As an aside, I would be cautious of using the first chart since it suggests roaches and silkworms have substantially more protein than 100% lean beef.

Most insects have comparable protein content to red meat. Its why everyone is saying they are the food source of the future along with their inherent sustainability. I'm not a scientist, but I did stay at a holiday in express last night.

http://www.the-scientist.com/?artic...172/title/Why-Insects-Should-Be-in-Your-Diet/

I cannot speak to the validity of either of the charts, but thought it could point you in the right direction. (y)

The problem with protein analysis at least in dog food is that chicken beaks, feet and cartilage are technically protein but are not fully digestible. If I'm not mistaken keratin is a protein. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) I would guess an insect with little keratin but a high protein ratio would be a superior source of protein.

The problem with protein analysis at least in dog food is that chicken beaks, feet and cartilage are technically protein but are not fully digestible. If I'm not mistaken keratin is a protein. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) I would guess an insect with little keratin but a high protein ratio would be a superior source of protein.
Sounds good enough for me!

Idk about chicken beaks, but cartilage, chicken feet, and their bones are completely digestable. It's actually a lot of the fillers and other things in commercially processed dog food that the dog cannot break down. Dogs cannot break down any sort of plant matter unless it is cooked to literal death, or blended into a pulp. Some vegetables and starches etc no matter how cooked down or processed can't be digested at all, such as corn/gluten of any type etc. I feed my dog a prey model raw diet that I butcher and create myself, so it is pure meat, 80% muscle meat of various types 10% edible bones 10% various organs. His feces is far smaller, less smelly and decomposes quicker on it's own if it is left alone. Honestly I don't worry about keratin levels unless my chameleon is not drinking enough at all and not being fed soft-bodied feeders. In my opinion insects have the ability to have as high a protein as lean beef, because lean beef isn't easily digested by people and insects are easier to digest wholly and easier to absorb proteins from. You can also eat a larger amount of insects than beef.

Idk, protein with keratin involved in it my not be absorbed quite as well as just plain soft bodied, or muscle meats if we wear talking any other sort of actual meats, but honestly in my opinion keratin get's digest easier than people think. It just depends on the ratio. Keratin in my opinion gives more digestable protein than most people think.

Alfalfa powder, quinoa, legumes, hemp powder, spirukina, hard boiled eggs, repashy fruits n grubs crested gecko meal replacement powered ( uses insect meal ), while staying away from dairy products and mammal meats is my advice. Alfalfa powder is an excellent and readily obtainable choice and is a great base for dry gutloading.

Back
Top Bottom