What bugs are good for a 2 month old veiled cham?

I've got a quick question about locust and crickets. I haven't got any reptiles but am planning on getting a chemelon in the next year or so. I read someone where you should rip there legs off because it can irritate the throat of reptiles is this true or not.
So crickets we do not remove the legs... With Locusts people do typically because the hind legs can have little barbs... So it can be harmful for the cham and cause injury to the mouth.

Hi everyone I'm new to the forums and i'm getting a 2 month old male veiled chameleon. I've been trying to find bugs that will be good for him but aren't huge, if that makes sense. Many of the bugs i've found just get too big and I am unable to get dubia roaches where I am. Any ideas would be great I am going to get him black soldier fly larvae for sure.
So depending on where your at your best bet is going to be to order them in. You can get 1/8 size or 1/4 size. A 2 month old is going to be taking down a lot of feeders every day. Your looking at 25 at least a day. So ordering is going to be the cheapest for you. I would contact the breeder and find out what size crickets they are feeding now.

So crickets we do not remove the legs... With Locusts people do typically because the hind legs can have little barbs... So it can be harmful for the cham and cause injury to the mouth.
Can I ask a question about this insects cant feel pain right. I understand and would so that do it to stop my chemelon getting hurt but just wondering if insects feel pain.

So depending on where your at your best bet is going to be to order them in. You can get 1/8 size or 1/4 size. A 2 month old is going to be taking down a lot of feeders every day. Your looking at 25 at least a day. So ordering is going to be the cheapest for you. I would contact the breeder and find out what size crickets they are feeding now.
im getting him from FLchams, i will try to find out what theyre feeding them now. thank u

They are illegal in florida, I have tried looking for alternative roaches but I cant really find a reliable source
This is sometimes a problem in places where dubias are available legally.
Some options are:
  1. Choose an alternative staple ("go to") feeder.
  2. Keep a list of vendors of the roaches you can get legally, and shop when necessary.
    (A PITA, but some of us have had to do it recently.)
  3. Keep (or purchase) a variety of other feeders, which isn't a bad idea anyway.
  4. Raise your own roaches (and/or other feeders).
If you do #4, get more reptiles to help consume the roaches you will invariably be overrun with. ?

This is sometimes a problem in places where dubias are available legally.
Some options are:
  1. Choose an alternative staple ("go to") feeder.
  2. Keep a list of vendors of the roaches you can get legally, and shop when necessary.
    (A PITA, but some of us have had to do it recently.)
  3. Keep (or purchase) a variety of other feeders, which isn't a bad idea anyway.
  4. Raise your own roaches (and/or other feeders).
If you do #4, get more reptiles to help consume the roaches you will invariably be overrun with. ?
Ok thank u so much

When you do get your chemelon I would love to see pics of the chemelons and setup. As I am planning on getting one and what to see how different people keep them.
Here is my set up?

Attachments

• 20201011_181649.jpg
    20201011_181649.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 20201011_182802.jpg
    20201011_182802.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 66
The drain pan seems a bit small. Most I've seen are a bit larger than the enclosure bottom. How do you deal with mist & plant water that doesn't stay within the pan? :unsure:
I haven't tried misting yet, I dont have my cham yet but this is the only pan that I could find. The wood is stained with water resistant stuff so it shouldn't be a big deal but I'll let u know how it goes if u want?

I haven't tried misting yet, I dont have my cham yet but this is the only pan that I could find. The wood is stained with water resistant stuff so it shouldn't be a big deal but I'll let u know how it goes if u want?
Just something to consider... Even finished sealed wood will succumb to water damage in time.

I would replace the wooden bottom with screen (if keeping bugs in is a factor; otherwise no need), and get a drain pan (you'd be amazed how many sizes are available with a little searching) the correct size.
Add the size you want to your search, e.g 28 x 28 drain pan.
Put bolts or feet on the bottom of the enclosure to keep the wood out of the water.
If you have plant pots on the floor, they can be supported underneath so as not to damage the screen. I did this with suspended ceiling egg crate cut to size.

Back
Top Bottom