What bugs are good for a 2 month old veiled cham?

PoseidonTheChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi everyone I'm new to the forums and i'm getting a 2 month old male veiled chameleon. I've been trying to find bugs that will be good for him but aren't huge, if that makes sense. Many of the bugs i've found just get too big and I am unable to get dubia roaches where I am. Any ideas would be great I am going to get him black soldier fly larvae for sure.

ok thank you so much
I'm not an expert I've only just joined this forum a week or 2 ago. So I think you get some better advice of experienced owners this is just from reserch I have collected. And I'm not sure how big a 2 month chemelon looks like as I have never owned a chemelon.

Like you said, bsfl are a good choice (and the pupated fly also). And small crickets, almost any kind of roach...if you cannot get Dubia perhaps you can get discoid. Flies, moths, stick bugs, silkworms, xsmall hornworms for hydration, and waxworms as a treat.

Hi everyone I'm new to the forums and i'm getting a 2 month old male veiled chameleon. I've been trying to find bugs that will be good for him but aren't huge, if that makes sense. Many of the bugs i've found just get too big and I am unable to get dubia roaches where I am. Any ideas would be great I am going to get him black soldier fly larvae for sure.
When you do get your chemelon I would love to see pics of the chemelons and setup. As I am planning on getting one and what to see how different people keep them.

Like you said, bsfl are a good choice (and the pupated fly also). And small crickets, almost any kind of roach...if you cannot get Dubia perhaps you can get discoid. Flies, moths, stick bugs, silkworms, xsmall hornworms for hydration, and waxworms as a treat.
careful with the hornworms. they get HUGE so fast hahaha!

I've got a quick question about locust and crickets. I haven't got any reptiles but am planning on getting a chemelon in the next year or so. I read someone where you should rip there legs off because it can irritate the throat of reptiles is this true or not.

I've got a quick question about locust and crickets. I haven't got any reptiles but am planning on getting a chemelon in the next year or so. I read someone where you should rip there legs off because it can irritate the throat of reptiles is this true or not.
for the crickets the reason its done is to stop them from jumping im not sure with locust

I am unable to get dubia roaches where I am.
Is this due to a supply situation or because they are illegal where you are?

From the Veiled Chameleon caresheet in the Resources section:
Veiled Chameleons - Food & Nutrition

Feeding:

Veiled chameleons are more omnivorous than most chameleon species and many enjoy munching on plant leaves and fruit in addition to using their long sticky tongue to catch live insects. Great feeder insects include crickets, silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, dubia roaches and superworms. Waxworms and mealworms are high in fat content and harder to digest so should only be used on occasion. The rule of thumb is to not feed insects that are longer than the width of your chameleon's head.

Neonates: as many small crickets as they can eat several times a day
Juveniles 3-6 months of age: 10-12 small crickets daily
Juveniles 6-12 months of age: 10-12 medium crickets every other day
Adults over 12 months of age: 7-10 medium-large crickets every other day

Chameleons should be fed in the first half of the day to give them time to bask and digest their food properly. Crickets need to be properly gutloaded with calcium rich vegetables several hours before being fed to your chameleon. Inadequate dietary calcium leads to metabolic bone disease, a very serious illness. Commercially available gutloads usually aren't properly balanced or sufficient for good nutrition. See Chameleon Food for more information.

1602169356359.png

1602169228567.png

I think it would behoove you (as it did me) to spend some time perusing the entire Resources section on this site. Most beginner FAQ & answers can be found there.

I have never seen mantis nymphs being sold as feeders here although I know that chemelons eat them in the wild.

Back
Top Bottom