What breed am i??

Actually you can breed ambanjas with ambilobes too. Panther chameleons are panther chameleons and they can all breed with each other because they're the same species, just different locales. It's like domestic cats - they're all different colors but they can all breed and make the same colors or mixes of the two. Cross breeding locales is controversial, but happens a lot and is not unnatural. Now crossing a panther with a veiled or some other species would be impossible. Just fyi :)

Yes I understand you can breed any panther chameleon together I was just wondering if within a local if it's better or more excepted to bread blue bar to blue bar and red bar to red bar? Do you get better offspring with similar within a local? I have a Biology degree so I understand the nuts and bolts of breeding:D I am just wondering within the Chameleon community what are the excepted practices within the locals? And now....sorry for the thread jack:(

Generally speaking, a clutch of babies are much more "marketable" if their colors are predictable. A pairing of bb and bb Ambilobes panthers is one of the easiest to sell. Now if you have parsonii babies or nosy faly babies, that's a whole different league of easy to sell.

But yes, the reptile community looks fondly upon predictable color potential babies. A male Sambava bred to a female Ambanja or similar cross-locale breedings are looked at as "muddy" and some even say irresponsible. I personally think they can lead to interesting color combinations but your buyers may not share the optimism since it takes ~5 months to see colors start to emerge on males. Those females...they will be tough to sell.

I haven't seen a ton of evidence that would lead me to believe a rb Ambilobe with a bb Ambilobe is an unfavorable pairing. In fact, I think several breeders use this combo to get eventually get consistent purple bars. I've seen some awesome pb Ambanjas and they do sell very well.

Back
Top Bottom