What are the best cages that are for sale?

svt2nv

I live in BC, Canada and will likely be buying my supplies from somewhere like PETSMART. I'm new to chameleons and came here for information before I pick up my chameleon.

Anyways, what is the best cages out there for sale? I like the idea of those eko terra terrariums. They're nice and clean looking. Lots of places also seem to have those screen enclosures with a frame inside of them. Which ones work best? And do any of them offer drainage?

So far this one seems to be my best option. Looks like decent quality, has a waterproof bottom, nice doors to open, and screen sides. However, the largest it comes in is. 24*18*24. Is that tall enough? I would have thought 3-4 feet tall would be better..

http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/images/products/detail/large/April07/lg_15116_66daf.jpg

I also like the ones like this. Simply and sturdier than those mesh ones, and come in taller sizes.

http://lllreptile.com/load-image/StoreInventoryImage/image/1

Unless you are getting Pygmies, the ExoTerra glass cages will be no good. Reptariums are a good starter cage, but there are lots of good screen cages out there. What kind of chameleon are you getting-cage size will depend on that.

I just noticed your pictures-the first one is not tall enough-chameleons need height. For my adult Veiled he has a 24X24X48. For a youngster you will need something much smaller.

my mother toldme it was a veiled cham but i haven't even seen it yet. my mother found it at our LFS and apparently it loves to be handled. i'm going in to put a deposit on it if it is infact a veiled cham and i won't be bringing it home until i gain the proper knowledge and get the proper enclosure setup.

so maybe my best bet for a quick startup is one like the aluminum enclosure in the second link?

Definitely. Veiled chams don't love to be handled, but some are tolerant. Find out age/size and that will help you get the proper cage.

I just set up the screen cage you posted from LLL. I had it together in like 10 min. While I was setting it up I thought it was going to be flimsy, but it is actually quite sturdy. My female panther I got a week ago loves it. To hook vines into it I used zip ties. I will try to post pictures if you would like once I get my camera from my boyfriend. But I do rec. the one from LLL! I don't know how much time you have, or how much building skill you have, but I also built a cage with the plans from chameleonparadise.com. I love the cage the only problem was it took a while for me to build it, and by the time I was finished I had over 90 dollars into it and the one from LLL is only 100 (although I have seen it cheaper on sale.) Sorry the post is so long, I like to talk, or in this case type:) Have a good day!

Dani

Back
Top Bottom