What are some easy(and cheap) insects I can breed for a 2 month old veiled

All the food I am buying is really adding up! Anything that I could easily breed would be a life saver. I have looked in breeding some Dubai roaches but Kiwi is being a pain in the butt and hasn't wanted to eat them recently

What I did for mine was invest in fruit fly cultures. If you buy 4-5 and alternate which ones you feed your cham daily you can make one culture last for a month. Also I found the larger fruit fly at petsmart and bred that in the same cultures as the smaller ones.

What I did for mine was invest in fruit fly cultures. If you buy 4-5 and alternate which ones you feed your cham daily you can make one culture last for a month. Also I found the larger fruit fly at petsmart and bred that in the same cultures as the smaller ones.

She is way to big for fruit flies she eats 3/8" to 1/2" crickets

Have you looked at Ghanns?
I found a pet store 40 min away from me that's a mom and pop like store. They sell crickets 1000 for 22 bucks

try houseflies. Just add 1 cup of cornmeal + 1/2 of milk formula and a pinch of yeast. Add water accordingly until runs a bit like a slurry, wait for some flies to lays some eggs on them.... waala...in about 2 weeks...u have flies for your chammy. :D:D

Due to high shipping prices I actually lose money

What do you think everyone else is doing? High shipping? $10-$15 isn't high, it's what it costs. Buy a couple hundred roaches, set some aside to breed, and feed off the rest. Dubia, red runners, and lobsters. If you keep your eyes peeled lobsters and red runners can be had for 1000/$35-$50 shipped.

I just ordered stick bugs and giant banana roaches from Nick Barta. I must say he is very good about answering questions and keeping you completely updated on your order.

He also provided care sheets so that I can try to raise my own insects.

I would highly recommend Nick Barta as a great source for feeders.

What do you think everyone else is doing? High shipping? $10-$15 isn't high, it's what it costs. Buy a couple hundred roaches, set some aside to breed, and feed off the rest. Dubia, red runners, and lobsters. If you keep your eyes peeled lobsters and red runners can be had for 1000/$35-$50 shipped.

For example, if I got crickets from Ghaans shipping is 35 dollars plus another 10$ just for 250 crickets. I am only 13 and I don't have a job so my only income is doing chores around the house, mowing lawns, and Christmas/Birthday money

Its not hard to breed crickets (but I think it is smelly and noisy)
there are multiple types of roaches you could try
I found silkworms fairly easy to breed though a bit time consuming.
Blue bottle flies are worth consideration
superworms are cheap and easy and more gutloadable than some think
mealworms are cheap and easy, though not the best choice for regular use
terrestrial isopods are cheap and easy but takes time
Soldier fly maggots (phoenix/calci worms) are another option worth consideration
Indian walking sticks are good easy to breed choices for adding variety.

lots of info here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/74-feeders.html

Its not hard to breed crickets (but I think it is smelly and noisy)
there are multiple types of roaches you could try
I found silkworms fairly easy to breed though a bit time consuming.
Blue bottle flies are worth consideration
superworms are cheap and easy and more gutloadable than some think
mealworms are cheap and easy, though not the best choice for regular use
terrestrial isopods are cheap and easy but takes time
Soldier fly maggots (phoenix/calci worms) are another option worth consideration
Indian walking sticks are good easy to breed choices for adding variety.

lots of info here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/74-feeders.html

I will think about breeding some silks when the weather warms up so I can get some shipped. Blue bottle flies sound nice though. Do you know where a good place to get them is?

Are there any reptile shows near you? If so feeders are CHEAP at those ive gotten 1000 crickets for $15 or LESS! They have everything

I will think about breeding some silks when the weather warms up so I can get some shipped. Blue bottle flies sound nice though. Do you know where a good place to get them is?

You can get Blue Bottle maggots(called "Spikes" at Grubco, but being in North Dakota, fishing supply stores should sell them as fish bait…no shipping!

If you have blackberry bushes, Pink-wing insects are an option.

Catch your own wild insects as grasshoppers with a net, or night insects with a light trap.

CHEERS!

Nick:D

You can get Blue Bottle maggots(called "Spikes" at Grubco, but being in North Dakota, fishing supply stores should sell them as fish bait…no shipping!

If you have blackberry bushes, Pink-wing insects are an option.

Catch your own wild insects as grasshoppers with a net, or night insects with a light trap.

CHEERS!

Nick:D

Yeah the only fishing supply stores we have here are Scheels and a few Isles in Walmart. Other than that we always buy our bait at gas stations. Will have to look around this summer to try to find a store that sells them. I do plan on catching some bugs this summer so that is one thing to look forward to. Also, what is the difference between blue bottle flies and houseflies? I was planning on getting some houseflies from spiderpharm and they a super cheap

Back
Top Bottom