what an adventure!!!!

lazzara8478

I was giving my chameleons out of cage time on their plans while I drilled holes in the plastic bottom of their screen cage... never gets dry as it holds all water. any way I thought they would be OK... apparently not. I saw my male making a break for it off the plant. I got him and then realized she was no where to be found. I broke out the such party and after 20 minutes of feverish looking my 5 yr old daughter spotted her over half way up the tree in the field outside our back yard. I grabbed a step stool and shimmied up the tree after realizing I could no way make it back down while holding her. My friend went and grabbed a ladder. by this time she was at the top of the tree. I climbed the ladder, then the tree and got a very angry chameleon who was hissing and trying to bite me the whole way down. she is now back in her cage sulking and I am scratched to hell from sliding down a tree trunk! an adventure would sum it up...

Something very similar happened to me on Saturday. I took out my male Veiled out to a 6 foot plant I have in my backyard which I thought was safe to leave him at since it has a 15" tall pot at the bottom. I went inside to blow my nose and when I came out, he was not there. I was panicking cause I thought a bird had got him. I started looking through the trees I have along the fence between my house and my neighbors. After 15 minutes of looking, I finally found him reaching towards my neighbors palm trees (which are full of leaves since they dont do any yard work, disgusting). If he would've gotten a hand on those leaves, it would have been bye bye Enano.

Thankfully I got him. And thankfully you gut yours too.. scary moments!

those are scary stories, glad they both had happy endings

Thanks Hoj.

I still don't know how in the world Enano got off the plant. He had to have jumped and evaded my parents sight because they were in the backyard as well.

That's why I have my large outdoor cage! Well, mostly cause of my near loss encounter due to a hawk but the comfort of knowing I can walk away and leave him outside safely. I still go and check like every 15 minutes though just to make sure he is not too hot or anything unexpected that could happen while inside the cage. Motto is NEVER take your eyes off of them just like your children!

oh they Jump... I realized she was gone when I saw my male jump off his plant to make a break for it too....lol

I have a few tales that resemble these ones. The worst one was about 16 years ago when my Oustellet "disappeared" into the tree. I couldn't find him for about a month. One morning after a frost I saw him hanging upside down by his tail. I thought he was a goner. I was holding him while berating myself when I noticed he started to move. He was alive! He lived with me for another 8 years.

Outdoor enclosures for me all the way because I have ADD and forget what I am doing within minutes...like right now I'm supposed to be working :)

Back
Top Bottom