What age can i feed my veiled chameleon carrots?

there is no age.

veileds can eat all bugs and foods at any age, so long as it is appropriately sized.

Personally, I would steam harder veggies like carrots, sweet potato, etc. Just to make them softer. Then you can feed bigger (appropriately sized) pieces, and he doesn't have to work as hard to chew them.

Because carrots are kinda tough. Both my dogs (30 lbs) love carrots and get them as treats instead of a rawhide to chew on and even they take a while to get through a large carrot.

Personally, I would steam harder veggies like carrots, sweet potato, etc. Just to make them softer. Then you can feed bigger (appropriately sized) pieces, and he doesn't have to work as hard to chew them.

Because carrots are kinda tough. Both my dogs (30 lbs) love carrots and get them as treats instead of a rawhide to chew on and even they take a while to get through a large carrot.

ok ty. is it possible to feed him too much?

:confused: I've read they like veggies and fruits, but my guy won't touch anything that doesn't move.. Well, the lone exception is he chomps at his umbrella plant leaves.. But I've tried to give him fruit and stuff and he has absolutely no interest.. That's cool though, i enjoy feeding him live food anyway and love watching him hunt.

Personally, I'd be reluctant to give my dude carrots. I'd rather chop something soft like strawberries or grapes or something.. But again, then what? do you just put them in a bowl and expect him to eat from it?

:confused: I've read they like veggies and fruits, but my guy won't touch anything that doesn't move.. Well, the lone exception is he chomps at his umbrella plant leaves.. But I've tried to give him fruit and stuff and he has absolutely no interest.. That's cool though, i enjoy feeding him live food anyway and love watching him hunt.

Personally, I'd be reluctant to give my dude carrots. I'd rather chop something soft like strawberries or grapes or something.. But again, then what? do you just put them in a bowl and expect him to eat from it?

My chameleon does the same thing. He does not eat fruit or vegetable and if i approaching with some fruit or vegetable, he will get angry

It's true that they don't always go for it or recognize it as food. That's why hand feeding bugs is a great idea, because it gives you a window into hand feeding other things. Like, it doesn't matter if I have a cricket or a button between my fingers, my guys are so conditioned that they'll already start aiming for it before they really see what they're shooting for. So you use this to yoour advantage and hold a little slice of strawberry and wiggle it a little and trick them.

After they've tried it once they're more likely to realize that they like it and eat other slices without as much trickery.

I use the carrot shreds in the bottom of Zaphod's feeding cup along with a bit of greens. (Mostly to keep the crickets occupied so they are less likely to jump out.) He definitely eats the shreds so I make sure to make them small enough to swallow without issues. I haven't seen any digestive issues from this and he seems to like it.

It's true that they don't always go for it or recognize it as food. That's why hand feeding bugs is a great idea, because it gives you a window into hand feeding other things. Like, it doesn't matter if I have a cricket or a button between my fingers, my guys are so conditioned that they'll already start aiming for it before they really see what they're shooting for. So you use this to yoour advantage and hold a little slice of strawberry and wiggle it a little and trick them.
After they've tried it once they're more likely to realize that they like it and eat other slices without as much trickery.

That makes sense. Perhaps I'll give it another try.. I free range all Koop's crickets, but I always handfeed worms to him just about every other day.. So he's used to my hand and does associate it with having a snack.. I've only tried the fruit/veggie thing once or twice a while back. I'll try some orange or something this weekend.

I use the carrot shreds in the bottom of Zaphod's feeding cup along with a bit of greens. (Mostly to keep the crickets occupied so they are less likely to jump out.) He definitely eats the shreds so I make sure to make them small enough to swallow without issues. I haven't seen any digestive issues from this and he seems to like it.
If you ever plan on giving bigger pieces of carrots then I would steam them first. it helps a lot.

Back
Top Bottom