Were you afraid at first?

ColorCham427

Avid Member
Hey all,

I am wondering how many of you guys were "slightly scared" of your first chameleon? (Once it grew into an Adult for most? Maybe not...)

For me...LOL... I was scared to death from a 3 month old when it tried to bite me, but then once I felt it, I laughed my ass off cause I ended up thinking he was cute! (I find it cute when a little chameleon tries to take on a giant hand!)

Hey all,

I am wondering how many of you guys were "slightly scared" of your first chameleon? (Once it grew into an Adult for most? Maybe not...)

For me...LOL... I was scared to death from a 3 month old when it tried to bite me, but then once I felt it, I laughed my ass off cause I ended up thinking he was cute! (I find it cute when a little chameleon tries to take on a giant hand!)

chameleons, no, but my boa scared the poo out of me when i first got it, all 15 scary inches of him, now he's about 30 something inches long and i am completely unafraid except when it feeding time; watch your fingers.

oh yeah! when i would want to hold him and try to gently put my hand where he could crawl on he would snap and hiss and get all tuff and it would freak me out until i learned he wouldnt bite me and he can only talk the talk :p;)

I hope i can learn to get braver ~ i brought two baby panther chameleons 2 weeks ago. I'm nervous to pick them up, but i'm worried if i don't start to soon that they won't be friendly when they get older. Their currently 3 months at the moment.
Should i start to handle them now, or wait till their abit bigger? :eek:

I got my first cham when he was 5 months old and he well and truly had me bluffed....I was scared of the little hissing puffball :D

First time I had to handle him I put on huge leather gardening gloves and he meekly just walked on to my open glove, puffed out his chin and had this look on his face as if to say "what??? You scared of little me?"

When I think about it I doubt my dog would have been able to bite me thru those gloves :D

I hope i can learn to get braver ~ i brought two baby panther chameleons 2 weeks ago. I'm nervous to pick them up, but i'm worried if i don't start to soon that they won't be friendly when they get older. Their currently 3 months at the moment.

I took my panther out for a little gentle handling and exploration - maybe once a week or so - when he was 3-6 months; he didn't seem unduly alarmed, but didn't become sociable until he was out of the Reptarium and had taught me to bribe him (I'd hold one hand right in front of him, and a cup containing crickets or some other treat where he could see it but had to climb on me to get it). He quickly learned to associate climbing on me with good things. He's only threatened when I moved too close near him or, once, when he found the cricket box and wanted to guard it as a valuable resource.

my girl head butt me the first time i tried to take her out after she got used to having her own cage, the sheer speed of it kind of scared me...

my charlie used to be nice but now shes a meany. whenever i get my hand close to her she gets all crazy and puff. then i tried gloves and she bit them and went crazier. any tips to get her to be handable shes about 7 months

Picking them up doesnt necessarily get them used to you. You occasionally need to pick them up to do health checks. I think some just learn that you are the food giver and therefore they see you as a good thing.

Think i'll give the bite images a miss ~ don't want to put myself off!!! :eek:

PHEW...... glad i'm not the only one nervous to pick up a 4 inch long chameleon :D

Makes me feel much to know others out there feel the same ~ thanks guys

Last edited:
The panther doesn't scare me, but I'm very nervous of my (comparatively tiny) marbled gecko - because when I bought him, he latched onto the store person's finger and left her bleeding for the next several minutes.

Back
Top Bottom