Well this is different

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
Today must be silkworm day for me. Some of the eggs I’d all but given up on have started to hatch, the eggs I ordered arrived along with the small silkies I also ordered. In a couple of weeks there’ll be silkies everywhere and some very satisfied reptiles.
The small ones that came today look very different from the usual all white that I usually receive (eBay). Am I correct that these are tiger, possibly zebra and regular white? Wonder if they have different flavors... :unsure:
F36CD612-5EEE-4201-B47C-D5016AC49DE9.jpeg

Today must be silkworm day for me. Some of the eggs I’d all but given up on have started to hatch, the eggs I ordered arrived along with the small silkies I also ordered. In a couple of weeks there’ll be silkies everywhere and some very satisfied reptiles.
The small ones that came today look very different from the usual all white that I usually receive (eBay). Am I correct that these are tiger, possibly zebra and regular white? Wonder if they have different flavors... :unsure:
View attachment 252125
Missed this post, but yes. They are zebras and "reverse zebras" or black. Supposedly the zebra pattern emulates movement and is more enticing for feeding. I don't have any different results as all my animals LOVE silks of any color. I *think* they will also spin a different color cocoon.... yellow maybe?

I too have multiple sets of eggs that never hatched, but I haven't tossed out. Chances are if they're gray, they're fertile and just in "over winter" mode or was an issue with someone trying to put them in that state - likely too cold or too long in the fridge. Either way, I keep them till I can't, ya never know!

^^. i dont doubt that you are serious, as silkworms and their pupae are actually a delicacy in some countries!

Those look like blacks and zebras. Same species just a different morph of sorts. My guys dont seem to notice a difference, but I do. I find the zebras are hardier than the normals, but slightly smaller. The blacks are even hardier and slightly smaller. Supposedly the blacks have a lower hatch rate but I’ve had almost 100% hatch rates lately!

I’m definitely going to try and get some eggs from them.
Being brand new to breeding silkworms, I didn’t realize that they need a diapause (is that the right word?) so left some of the eggs out to hatch. They haven’t but are still dark grey and look like red blood cells so just keeping them around and check them daily. The ones hatching now really well we’re in the fridge for two months. Can see now some errors I made with the first eggs I collected. Hopefully have done better with the ones I collected this month.

And yes - the blacks spin a yellow cocoon. Might have that backwards and its the zebras? Cant remember as its been a few months since I let any cocoon - but my silkworm thread has all the deets! One of them has visually different sexes, as well
The blacks spin the gold cocoon, I looked it up a week ago when the silks I got from you started to spin and since I thought there where sick when they started to turn brown lol

Back
Top Bottom