Weird Sounds/Behavior

PabloTheCham

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hey guys.... I'm worried about my cham. He was under his uvb light, and he started gaping. After that he closed his mouth, puffed his chin out, tilted his head upward and make a soudn similar to a balloon being delfated... I don't believe it is an RI because his head has never been tilted up until today and i twas just for a few seconds while he made that sound. He does however gape often, but i just chalked it up to him being a grumpy male veiled.
So, should I be worried? What could it be?

Hey guys.... I'm worried about my cham. He was under his uvb light, and he started gaping. After that he closed his mouth, puffed his chin out, tilted his head upward and make a soudn similar to a balloon being delfated... I don't believe it is an RI because his head has never been tilted up until today and i twas just for a few seconds while he made that sound. He does however gape often, but i just chalked it up to him being a grumpy male veiled.
So, should I be worried? What could it be?
I'm no expert but when did he last shed?

He sheds like a foot, then half his stomach, then his tail, then when everything shed, hell just shed again. Its like if he's never done shedding.

The sound he made - was it like a whistling? Do you hear any other sounds, like popping? Is his saliva thick and stringy?

The sound he made - was it like a whistling? Do you hear any other sounds, like popping? Is his saliva thick and stringy?
No, it wasn't a whistling sound, it was a sound like a balloon being deflated, almost like a fart. Its something I never heard him do, I didn't even think he could make a sound other then his hissing. I guess it might be what you call popping, do you have a video of what a popping cham sounds like?
I'm not sure how I can see his saliva?

No, it wasn't a whistling sound, it was a sound like a balloon being deflated, almost like a fart. Its something I never heard him do, I didn't even think he could make a sound other then his hissing. I guess it might be what you call popping, do you have a video of what a popping cham sounds like?
I'm not sure how I can see his saliva?
No, I don’t have a video of popping. When he gapes you should be able to see his saliva if it is thick or stringy. I would say just keep a close eye on him.

No, I don’t have a video of popping. When he gapes you should be able to see his saliva if it is thick or stringy. I would say just keep a close eye on him.
The problem is he gapes, but when i get closer he closes his mouth. And starts hissing with his mouth barely open. Also I'm not sure what his saliva looks usually, so i can't really tell if its thicker then it should be. Do you have any pics of what regular saliva should look like vs stringy?

I know what you mean. Mine will do that noise for like a second literally a second and when he does that he is not always gaping.he does it under his basking spot. he makes a very similar noise when he shoots his tongue for food.

I know what you mean. Mine will do that noise for like a second literally a second and when he does that he is not always gaping.he does it under his basking spot. he makes a very similar noise when he shoots his tongue for food.
Mine hisses when he shoots his tongue, but that was a different sound... Along with the hissing, puffing chin out, and looking up worried me.

I searched and searched but a couple weeks ago I swear there was a post with a picture of a chameleon going head/chin up and making noises.

Im sorry, I really wanted to find it for you. Maybe an admin would have better luck.

I searched and searched but a couple weeks ago I swear there was a post with a picture of a chameleon going head/chin up and making noises.

Im sorry, I really wanted to find it for you. Maybe an admin would have better luck.
I knwo what you are talking about, it was about a respiratory infection. This cham only did this once, he is not tilting his head up permenantly to breathe so that shouldnt be it.

I had to laugh today. Bane is shedding and has been doing this puff/hiss noise all day each time he blows himself up like a balloon and stretches all over then does the puff/hiss. Was the first time I have experienced this with a cham. Beman has never done this.

I had to laugh today. Bane is shedding and has been doing this puff/hiss noise all day each time he blows himself up like a balloon and stretches all over then does the puff/hiss. Was the first time I have experienced this with a cham. Beman has never done this.
Oh ok! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom