Weird Ribs help!

EE71D176-0C17-4944-86AA-DF72B5080932.jpeg
help needed asap! i was told she might have eggs by the lady who runs Neptune the chameleon. she has a decent following and a great youtube. she answered my dms but i have never seen her ribs like this ever. She said pheobe does have eggs but she hasn’t laid any yet. she stopped eating but did eat some blackfly larva last few days. if anyone knows please comment!!!

Attachments

• 38A733A3-915A-4F93-9C05-965EF50455BC.jpeg
    38A733A3-915A-4F93-9C05-965EF50455BC.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 38823841-56D5-43E3-A258-273E6948BF9E.jpeg
    38823841-56D5-43E3-A258-273E6948BF9E.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 81
  • FF13463C-0D72-4C37-B36D-F1DBDA1C3F75.jpeg
    FF13463C-0D72-4C37-B36D-F1DBDA1C3F75.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 82
What is the order of these pics leading up to now? First clutch?
so the bright green was a few weeks ago and the window was a week and a 1/2 and the ribs that look weird are today. Yes this is the first clutch. I have a dig box, privacy screen etc. set up for her. still no eggs

Could she have fallen recently?
What supplements are you using and how heavily? How often do you use each supplement? What is in the supplements in the way of calcium, phos, D3 and the form of vitamin A ( prEformed or prOformed)?

Could she have fallen recently?
What supplements are you using and how heavily? How often do you use each supplement? What is in the supplements in the way of calcium, phos, D3 and the form of vitamin A ( prEformed or prOformed)?
I use calcium without D3 and i also have some with. then i use repivite with D3 3 or more times a month and calcium daily. i have correct UBV as well.

I would recommend using a PHOS free calcium powder lightly at all feedings but one a week....on that one alternate between a PHOS free calcium/D3powder and a vitamin powder with a prEformed source of vitamin A and no D3. All dusted lightly on the insects.

If the supplements and light are off then it could be the start of MBD.

Is your UVB light the long linear tube light type or a compact?

I would recommend using a PHOS free calcium powder lightly at all feedings but one a week....on that one alternate between a PHOS free calcium/D3powder and a vitamin powder with a prEformed source of vitamin A and no D3. All dusted lightly on the insects.

If the supplements and light are off then it could be the start of MBD.

Is your UVB light the long linear tube light type or a compact?
i have the 5.0 linear UBV. i will look for the PHOS free and order some. what is the difference between preformed and proformed?

Preformed vitamin A is ready to go...already in the form of vitamin A...look for words like retinol, retinyl, acetate in the list. Preformed vitamin A can build up in the system and lead to health issues. It's also antagonistic to vitamin D3 so it needs to be in balance with it.

PrOformed vitamin A has to be converted into vitamin A by the body so it can't be overdosed....but there is controversy as to whether chameleons can convert it or can convert enough of it so its recommended to use some preformed carefully so the preformed doesn't lead to an overdose. Look for words like beta carotene for proformed.

Without D3 the body can't absorb the calcium. The D3 can come from UVB or from the supplement...but you have to be careful with the supplements because the D3 in them can build up in the system and lead to MBD. D3 from the UVB shouldn't overdose if the chameleon can move in and out of it at will.

Phos, vitamin D3, vitamin A and calcium all need to be in balance to end up with good strong bones, muscles, etc.

Preformed vitamin A is ready to go...already in the form of vitamin A...look for words like retinol, retinyl, acetate in the list. Preformed vitamin A can build up in the system and lead to health issues. It's also antagonistic to vitamin D3 so it needs to be in balance with it.

PrOformed vitamin A has to be converted into vitamin A by the body so it can't be overdosed....but there is controversy as to whether chameleons can convert it or can convert enough of it so its recommended to use some preformed carefully so the preformed doesn't lead to an overdose. Look for words like beta carotene for proformed.

Without D3 the body can't absorb the calcium. The D3 can come from UVB or from the supplement...but you have to be careful with the supplements because the D3 in them can build up in the system and lead to MBD. D3 from the UVB shouldn't overdose if the chameleon can move in and out of it at will.

Phos, vitamin D3, vitamin A and calcium all need to be in balance to end up with good strong bones, muscles, etc.
943B17C7-6B7D-447E-A0EC-455A7E918526.png

when i got home her ribs did not look like that… i am so confused!! i took the picture at 2:30 before i went in and my bf checked too said she didn’t look like that either. when i got home she was sleeping but her ribs looked totally normal. still going to call the vet.

A vet visit is always the right choice with chameleons. An x ray can show if she has eggs and what level of development they are currently in, along with the entire skeletal system. Since you’ll be going, it’s always a good idea to take a fresh fecal sample for parasites testing too. Please do keep us posted.

A vet visit is always the right choice with chameleons. An x ray can show if she has eggs and what level of development they are currently in, along with the entire skeletal system. Since you’ll be going, it’s always a good idea to take a fresh fecal sample for parasites testing too. Please do keep us posted.
Thank you! I will definitely keep you posted!! Didn’t think of the fecal great idea!

Back
Top Bottom