Weird problems with Neptune and indoor lights

Andee

Chameleon Enthusiast
So i have started keeping Neptune outside 24/7 this year since i noticed he was doing very poorly inside. Well this winter was too cold to keep him outdoors and so i brought him indoors. He gets to go outdoors for several hours about 8 hours a week minimum. However today i noticed he wasnt able to shoot well and kept missing targets. I also noticed hes been doing prolonged washes and keeping his eyes closed for several minutes. He has no artificial uvb. And gets repashy calcium plus and plain calcium as his supplements. I immediately worry about something serious. So i dose him with liquid calcium (2 units) and wait. Then i remembered he had been severely agitated by basking lamps when i brought him back in. Seeking shade constantly just for his head. I only have a 60 watt incandescent house bulb on him. I turned it off. Put on a 60 watt ceramic heater, turned on the room light and opened a window. He immediately started eating and shooting with no problem. This worries me.... this is my second chameleon who was supposed to be healthy who seems sensitive to artificial lights. Yet i see many others who dont seem to be. Or at least we dont seem aware? Has anyone else noticed these behaviors in their chams?

I don't keep mine outside as much as you do because of the heat but I have them out a few hours temperatures permitting on week ends. I have noticed that they tend to act sleepy once inside but only for that day. I think you will have to use UVB to keep their spirits up indoors. That part of the spectrum affects them in more ways than just D3 production.

I don't keep mine outside as much as you do because of the heat but I have them out a few hours temperatures permitting on week ends. I have noticed that they tend to act sleepy once inside but only for that day. I think you will have to use UVB to keep their spirits up indoors. That part of the spectrum affects them in more ways than just D3 production.
Thank you jacksjill i didnt expect it to affect him more than just D3 production. Everyone seems to think in uvb is essential 12 hours a day for D3 but Ive been in enough rescue situations that i have viewed it isnt. I am always hesitant with using artificial uvb anymore since it caused Ryker to go blind. But I will set up a new light for Neptune today.

Without uvb light everyday with a basking spot 85 - 90 he will die
His basking spot is 85-90 ceramic heat emitters cause this, and a uvb bulb is not necessary for D3 absorption if he gets minimum 4 hours of good sunlight every week however what Jacksjill says makes sense about keeping his spirit up. ^^ i have been keeping chameleons over 5 years now and been dealing with hard core rescues. Ryker my old 5 year old panther wad caused to go blind from uvb lights.

I do minimum of 8 hours of sunlight, but i gave him a uvb and will be probably giving him breaks from it througb out the day. I am hesitant to leave it on 12 hours a day. But will mitigate with sunlight for several hours a day when weather permits. And once the weather allows he is back outside 24/7 Neptune is meant to be out there and has never done well inside. Ever since i first moved him outside hes been less territorial, grown immensely, and his colors have become much better.

Back
Top Bottom