Weird ... plant pest? In cage and on cham

snitz427

Chameleon Enthusiast
I’ve had a really weird thing crop up in Penelope’s cage. I’ve noticed these little bumps on Penelope, but she has an eye issue and I thought maybe this was some complication related to that. The vet didnt mention them at a recent visit.

Upon closer inspection, I started to notice these little dots on her plants. Soon after I’ve noticed them all over the screen, and even on the light above her cage. It’s only affecting Penelope’s cage and plants, it does not appear on any of my other plants or other chameleon cages.

I’m really not familiar with what kind of plant pest this might be, and I’m not able to find much through searching. It may not be a plant pest at all, maybe an egg case for an insect? I don’t notice any unusual bugs flying around other than the occasional soil gnat. At first glance the little dots appear black and they stick on quite well. But if I look closer to the lights I can see that they have a red tint to them. I thought maybe aphids… But they don’t appear to move or congregate. It doesn’t look like scale either. At first glance the dots look like ground coffee beans.

Anyone ever see anything like this? Thankfully, Penelope is getting ready to move into a different cage. I’ll completely replant her cage with fresh soil and plants to ensure it doesn’t transfer over. I’ll have to clean her up before hand, as well as her lights.

28A79F69-4D1B-4F4D-84DF-F1A768F5AF90.jpeg D9EE66FB-39DC-4D24-98A7-322BB1CC4923.jpeg

Lol it was just a guess! I've had weird fungi pop up on my plants before and thought I saw it. IDK much about it, I think it is harmless though.

So if it is a mold do you still think it is connected to the bumps and eye issue on Penelope???

I think unrelated, as the eye issues cropped up months ago, but the fungi spores are recent. I think it came in on a bag of soil i bought and added to her cage, or possibly a branch.

The vet feels the eye issues are related to vit a. Its certainly a possibility, but the timing doesnt match.

If it were artillery fungus spores, shouldn't the "cannon" structures be evident somewhere?

It looked to me like bug ?. Could that be a possibility?

Back
Top Bottom