Weird Noise At Night?

peridot

I noticed tonight, while working on my computer near my vieled, that he's making a weird noise while sleeping. It's almost like a popping noise, but isn't consistent. He also made a "phss" type noise once.
He went in August 14th for his yearly checkup and all his bloodwork came back normal. He has slowed down eating within the past two weeks. Only eating 8 superworms last week and refusing everything else. It’s starting to get colder here, too.
Do I need to contact my vet again? I know popping noises aren't ever good.

Your Chameleon - Male Veiled chameleon, had since August of 2018. Unsure of age.
Feeding - Super Worms, wax worms, horn worms, silk worms. I gut load with Turnips, Carrots, Dandelion, Sweat Potato
Supplements - Bee pollen, Repticalcium without D3, Repashy calcium plus (twice a month.)
Watering - I am monitoring him closely, and want to keep track of how much he’s drinking. So I’m syringing him water several times a day (dropping water onto his mouth and letting him drink). He has a mister, though. Right now it is not going off.
Fecal Description - He's been tested for parasites and it came back negative.
History - Purchased from PetSmart.
Cage Type - Exoterra, x-large screen enclosure.
Lighting - 75w basking bulb , Arcadia D3 12% UVB T5 Bulb
Humidity - Around 30-40 durning the day. I run his Reptifogger on high at night.
Location - North Carolina

Regarding food... he's hunger striking for superworms.

Popping noise, I can't say for certain. Is it still going on? And why are you syringing water?

Regarding food... he's hunger striking for superworms.

Popping noise, I can't say for certain. Is it still going on? And why are you syringing water?

Yeah, he’s still making the noise. I’m syringing water because he isn’t eating much and I want to make sure he’s getting enough water. So, I’m dripping it on his face several times a day.

IME, popping is indicative of an RI. I would make an appointment with a Vet that has chameleon experience. Your little one will likely need some meds to clear the RI. Also, if it is indeed an RI, there is likely something in his care that is contributing to it. Double check all the parameters (temps, humidity, etc) and ensure that the enclosure is cleaned regularly and properly. If everything is on point, then the meds alone may do the trick.

I once had a female panther that would get an RI if you looked at her wrong, while none of my other chams have ever had an RI. To this day we have no idea why she was always so sick. Some chams are just more susceptible to them i guess.

IME, popping is indicative of an RI. I would make an appointment with a Vet that has chameleon experience. Your little one will likely need some meds to clear the RI. Also, if it is indeed an RI, there is likely something in his care that is contributing to it. Double check all the parameters (temps, humidity, etc) and ensure that the enclosure is cleaned regularly and properly. If everything is on point, then the meds alone may do the trick.

I once had a female panther that would get an RI if you looked at her wrong, while none of my other chams have ever had an RI. To this day we have no idea why she was always so sick. Some chams are just more susceptible to them i guess.

There’s only one exotic vet in our state. So, that’s who I’ve been taking him too. I have no idea what I could have done wrong. Should I post on here and get everyone to look at everything? Also, since he had bloodwork last month, should something like that have shown up? Do RI always show up in bloodwork?

You may not have done anything wrong. Like I said, one of my females seemed to get them regularly for no reason at all. Posting pics of your cham, entire set up, and giving all info (even the small details) can certainly help spot any potential causes, or lack thereof.

I don't know if RI shows in blood work or not. I'm sure there are more knowledge people on here that can say for sure.

You may not have done anything wrong. Like I said, one of my females seemed to get them regularly for no reason at all. Posting pics of your cham, entire set up, and giving all info (even the small details) can certainly help spot any potential causes, or lack thereof.

I don't know if RI shows in blood work or not. I'm sure there are more knowledge people on here that can say for sure.

I have an appointment for tomorrow and they’re going to redo the bloodwork and see if they see anything. How often did your panther get sick?

It seems like she was always sick. Her vet was one of the mods in this forum and we think the little girl was in poor health from birth. She was about half the size of another female I had, had a hip problem, constant RI's (like 2x a year), and she only lived to 3 years old. I got her when she was about 1 year old and never bred her. She did lay a few clutches in that time, but they were all small.

Back
Top Bottom