Weird Jackson?

jonr

I have 9-12 month male Jackson and he seems to spend a lot of time on the bottom of the cage and im not sure why. He is eating fine and drinking well but i notice him down at the bottom walking around all the time. Any ideas why?

You should fill out this form. (It would help alot! :))

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

U can kick his basking temp up to 90 cuz he is older and can regulate better also u need more heat for grown ups because it helps them digest and what not. Also if he is that age and he is trying to search for a way put of his cage it could be a sign he is trying to find a mate because that's what they do when they are searching for one.

U can kick his basking temp up to 90 cuz he is older and can regulate better also u need more heat for grown ups because it helps them digest and what not. Also if he is that age and he is trying to search for a way put of his cage it could be a sign he is trying to find a mate because that's what they do when they are searching for one.

Most people who keep jacksons successfully, consider 85F a bit too hot.

A maximum of 81-83F seems to be the most used.

I dont like to go over 85F as a rule. I start to see signs of heat stress at that point.

Yes, please fill out the form jonr. :)

I disagree, you want the ambient temp between 68-76 and a small basking spot around 82 try not to go any higher than 85.jacksons are from the mountains in Kenya where it's not very walm, also a night time drop in temp of around 10f is very important

Hopefully the form creaturelover123 posted will help us determine if it is a problem having to do with the enclosure that you can easily fix... like it being to hot, to dry... ect however if everything checks out fine, chameleons developing MBD often walk on the bottom of there cage, because it's to painful/difficult for them to climb branches. It would be nice if you could post a few good pics of your Cham, and at least one focusing a lot on his legs.

Oh I also agree with everybody about the temps, when I kept Jscksons I used a 60watt blub but for a huge custom enclosure with large mesh allowing a lot of heat to escape. The temps never got over 80 unless it was uncontroable in the summer. I also turned all forms of heat off at night allowing the temps to drop. They thrived, and I successfully bred them. I also kept the enclosure heavily planted and vined allowing a large range of roaming space. I kept three females and one male in the same enclosure happily.

Ill post pics here shortly, I have a huge enclosure for him and i noticed today that he is starting a shed. The enclosure is 4hx2wx3L with mesh screen. As im looking at him now he is basking under the light on a branch. There are no signs of MBD. As i say i will post pics tonight thanks for your responses.

Back
Top Bottom