Weird Feces

littlekiwi

Established Member
hey y’all. my girl appears fine, the vet says she’s fine, the only thing i’ve changed is i have her some wax worms yesterday to try. now her feces looks weird. this doesn’t seem to look like a parasite either, so why is this?
3B0309CC-78E8-4E0C-9F1A-BE3CCBAADD11.jpeg

hey y’all. my girl appears fine, the vet says she’s fine, the only thing i’ve changed is i have her some wax worms yesterday to try. now her feces looks weird. this doesn’t seem to look like a parasite either, so why is this?
What's her age, and what was she eating before the wax worms?

What's her age, and what was she eating before the wax worms?
estimated 4 months and she was eating crickets and super worms
OK. The reason I asked is that young reptiles metabolize much faster than older (mature) reptiles (my beardie hasn't ? in a week, which isn't unusual for him). IDK how fast a 4 month cham will pass something all the way through—especially if eating daily (I expect others here will know exactly! :))

My point is, the poop in question may have been from something eaten long before the wax worms.

OK. The reason I asked is that young reptiles metabolize much faster than older (mature) reptiles (my beardie hasn't ? in a week, which isn't unusual for him). IDK how fast a 4 month cham will pass something all the way through—especially if eating daily (I expect others here will know exactly! :))

My point is, the poop in question may have been from something eaten long before the wax worms.
you could be right, but her poop hasn’t looked that way when she’s had her crickets or roaches

It could be too much chitin from the superworms. It also looks dry so perhaps that took a while to pass? A wax worm poo is more goey and jelly. If you are feeding superworms try and stick to the freshly moulted white ones.... maybe take the wax worms and supers out of rotation for a while and try other stables, get her poo back to "normal" and see if there is a change when re-introducing them.

Besides the dryer fecal matter... Which in my experience feeding wax worms does not contribute to. I would say it is more of a hydration issue. If your looking at the whole sample her urate is very very dry and the white portion is small.
What are you doing for hydration?

Besides the dryer fecal matter... Which in my experience feeding wax worms does not contribute to. I would say it is more of a hydration issue. If your looking at the whole sample her urate is very very dry and the white portion is small.
What are you doing for hydration?
i mist using a hand mister

Ok how long and how often? Are you misting plants for her to drink from? What is your humidity level during the day and at night? Are you fogging at night?
hey my dude. she’s fine now and movements are normal. 60% humidity during the day and 50% at night, misting three times a day and i do mist her wandering jew, pothos, and fake plants. i am not fogging at night. could you give me info on that?

hey my dude. she’s fine now and movements are normal. 60% humidity during the day and 50% at night, misting three times a day and i do mist her wandering jew, pothos, and fake plants. i am not fogging at night. could you give me info on that?
60% humidity is a little high, make sure its 30-50 during the day any higher could risk RI/lung problems, yeah you'll want it 80+ during the night but it needs to be lower temps like lower than 70 maybe even lower to run a fogger or it could risk ri as mentioned above

you can buy a reptifogger or maybe diy. @Beman can give you more info on fogging

where do you live 3 times a day is actually a pretty small amount of time to mist but if its humid its humid. You may also want a dehumidifier if nothings working to lower humidity but i have no expirience with dehumidifiers

ok i’ll get that fixed right now. @Beman we meet again ? any info on fogging?
What are your temps in the cage at night? Fogging really should not be done unless its below 70 degrees. With this your fogging at the coolest time during the night. Mine is 12-5am temps are down to 65-66 at that point. I fog nonstop on high for that period of time. But I also have a partial screen cage. Are you still using a glass enclosure?
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-89-naturalistic-hydration-for-chameleons/

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-naturalistic-hydration/

This is a good top fill humidifier for night time only use. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V39ZYJB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vplXDb9GMSZDZ

Back
Top Bottom